Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015
  Re: (...)
Here we go and I'm sure Blane is going to have us all looking like slackers.............. Let's start the reviews.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by cjs (Here we go and I'm s...)
Thanks Jean.

This is the Filet Mignon with Marchand de vin sauce. I made this recipe exactly as written and it is a winner. After trying four different grocery stores to try and find demi-glace, I gave up and ordered it through Amazon. The sauce is the star in this recipe and I'm thinking that 'Better than Bouillon' would work in lieu of demi-glace for this recipe, in a pinch.

[Image: 3_zpsxovdoqxu.jpg]

[Image: 2_zpssxz6rwrk.jpg]
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by losblanos1 (Thanks Jean. [img]/u...)
That really does look amazing, Blane! Even if the rest of us do look like slackers, I will appreciate having a recipe review thread for each issue.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by Mare749 (That really does loo...)
That looks AMAZING! And we will likely be doing this for Christmas dinner, if not before.

And I like the idea of the magazine review thread.
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by Gourmet_Mom (That looks AMAZING! ...)
The review thread is AWESOME!!!!!

Blane---you are OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Now, I did not renew my sub ---???? Is there any way that the review dinners can have the recipes posted?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by Roxanne 21 (The review thread is...)
I'd be glad to post my recipes when I make them, Roxanne. I was looking at this issue for something to do with my pork chops (that I have everything for), but no luck. So will have to go to Issue # 108 for Pork au Poivre.

But, I'll ge to this issue quickly, I hope.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by cjs (I'd be glad to post ...)
Thanks everyone. Here's the recipe.

Filet Mignon
with marchand de vin sauce

For the best sear, get the pan really hot before adding the oil and filets. They’ll stick initially, but don’t move them until they naturally release from the pan.

Makes 2 servings (1/3 cup sauce)

Total time: 30 minutes

FOR THE SAUCE, ADD:
11/2 cups dry red wine
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 large sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 dried bay leaf

WHISK IN:
1/2 cup reconstituted purchased
demi-glace

OFF HEAT, WHISK IN:
2 Tbsp. salted butter, diced
Salt to taste

FOR THE FILETS, HEAT:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 beef tenderloin filets
(8 oz. each and 2-inches
thick), seasoned with salt
and black pepper

Preheat oven to 400°.

For the sauce, add wine, shallots,
thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf to
a medium saucepan. Bring wine
mixture to a boil over high heat,
then reduce heat to medium;
simmer until wine is reduced
to 2 Tbsp., about 35 minutes.

Whisk in demi-glace and reduce
to 1/3 cup strained sauce.

Off heat, whisk in butter, piece by
piece, until completely emulsified,
then season sauce with salt.

For the filets, heat oil in a sauté
pan over high until shimmering.
Add filets and sear until brown
on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip
filets, then transfer pan to oven.

Roast filets to desired doneness,
15–16 minutes for medium-rare.
Transfer filets to a plate, tent with
foil, and let rest 10 minutes.

Per serving: 734 cal; 53g total fat (23g sat);
195mg chol; 1722mg sodium; 18g carb; 2g fiber;
47g protein
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by losblanos1 (Thanks everyone. Her...)
For anyone who might be interested, I found the demi glace at Sur la Table if you happen to have one near you. I think that Williams-Sonoma carries it also.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-86...Demi-Glace
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by Mare749 (For anyone who might...)
Looks so great. I did just order some demi glace from Amazon too.
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #114-Dec. 2015 by Trixxee (Looks so great. I d...)
Most restaurant supply's carry it.
www.achefsjourney.com