Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV
  Re: (...)
I saw a recipe made on a TV show recently, it wasn't on cable, we don't have cable. I don't remember who made it or what show. But I do remember this:

It was a whole chicken in a skillet, underneath the chicken was thick cut rounds of potato and the potatoes cooked and crisped up as the chicken was rendering and cooking. They didn't butterfly the chicken, just sat it on top whole. The recipe was started on the stovetop, then moved to the oven.

Did anyone else see this? I want to make this (probably still will) I'll probably do it on the grill.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV by luvnit (I saw a recipe made ...)
Hi, Laura! I've seen numerous versions of this, but don't remember anything recently. Sorry!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV by Gourmet_Mom (Hi, Laura! I've see...)
As Daphne said, there have been a lot of recipes like this both on TV and online. You might even find it on pinterest.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV by Gourmet_Mom (Hi, Laura! I've see...)
I found it! It was on Cook's Country on PBS https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/773...-potatoes#

What I loved was that the potatoes were so crispy! Beautiful job. I think I would butterfly the chicken though.

SERVES 4

Use uniform, medium potatoes.

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, plus lemon wedges for serving
Salt and pepper
1 (4-pound) whole chicken, giblets discarded
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, ends squared off, and sliced into 1-inch-thick rounds
INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, paprika, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and use your fingers or handle of wooden spoon to carefully separate skin from breast. Rub oil mixture all over chicken and underneath skin of breast. Tie legs together with kitchen twine and tuck wingtips behind back.

2. Toss potatoes with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Arrange potatoes, flat sides down, in single layer in 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet. Place skillet over medium heat and cook potatoes, without moving them, until brown on bottom, 7 to 9 minutes (do not flip).

3. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of potatoes and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until breast registers 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Transfer chicken to carving board, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, cover skillet, return potatoes to oven, and roast until tender, about 20 minutes. Carve chicken and serve with potatoes and lemon wedges.

TEST KITCHEN TECHNIQUE: KEYS TO POTATOES THAT ARE TENDER AND BROWN
Potatoes don’t cook at the same rate as a chicken. Here’s how we got the dish to work.

ON THE STOVE: Brown one side of the potatoes on the stovetop. Then top the spuds with the chicken and roast.

IN THE OVEN: Once the chicken is done, set it aside, cover the pan, and return it to the oven to finish cooking the potatoes. [Image: detail_SFS_One-PanRoastedChickenandPotatoes-14.jpg]
Laura
  Re: Re: Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV by luvnit (I found it! It was o...)
Oh, I love that show! Glad you found it, Laura. I looked on pinterest and found another way to do this using a bundt pan to hold up the chicken, then place root vegetables all around it.

ETA: edited to say pinterest.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV by luvnit (I found it! It was o...)
Sure does sound good. Be sure to share the results!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV by Gourmet_Mom (Sure does sound good...)
Good idea Maryann!

Joe is loving his Cooking at school. He looks like a hero! Even his teacher commented on his skills. I thought this would be a great recipe for him to make for the family. I was cooking entire family meals by the time I was in 6th grade, by myself. I think he'll love this one!
Laura
  Re: Re: Looking for a Recipe I saw on TV by luvnit (Good idea Maryann![b...)
I didn't know Joe was taking a cooking class in school - How great!!

I've got potatoes coming out my ears and have been looking for dishes to use them. I like this one and I have chix thighs in the freezer.

reading the recipe tho, I'm a little skeptical of the oven temp/timing. 400° for 1 1/4 hours seems a little long, but 4 lb. chicken is large, so.................. hmmmmm. Anxious to try.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com