Volume 7 Osso Buco - Who Has Made This?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Has anyone made the Osso Buco recipe from Volume 7?

Last week I saw two wonderful looking Veal Shanks in the meat case and thought darn! I've never made Osso Buco but Hubby had it one time at a restaurant and wouldn't that be a new dinner to make! I've got two other recipes to look at and between all three, they're different and I just can't decide.

Notes from people who made the recipes suggest not browning the shanks in butter but the fat rendered from pancetta, which would be really tasty.

The C@H recipe calls for anchovy filets, but bleh, I hate anchovies. The one time Hubby had this dish, the chef pureed the mire poix and served that as the sauce, which he loved.

I'm so undecided! Help!!

(Okay Jean - show me those marrow spoons again!)

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Volume 7 Osso Buco - Who Has Made This? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Has ...)
My only contribution is we've only made it twice, not that recipe, and no anchovies were called for.

It was delicious though. What will you serve with it? I think we made mashed potatoes but I think mild flavored orzo dish would be nice too.
  Re: Re: Volume 7 Osso Buco - Who Has Made This? by Trixxee (My only contribution...)
I wish I could Barbara, but they are still packed!! sigh

It seems I make it differently each time I make Osso Buco (have not made the one from #7 - I don't think - but, they are still packed, too ). I've not browned the shanks in pancetta; just a mixture of butter/oil. I have added anchovies a few times and they give a wonderful subtle un-anchovy flavor (if you will)

Lastly, my preferred side is buttered noodles. Good luck deciding.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Volume 7 Osso Buco - Who Has Made This? by cjs (I wish I could Barba...)
Wish I could say we have made it. It's one of those dishes that I love to order at a favorite Italian restaurant.

Not sure how much this will help, but I looked up a recipe in the "Silver Spoon". Very simple prep. Brown in butter with onions, then add the liquids (beef stock and wine) and the rest of the vegetables. The sauce is finished with tomato paste, then topped with gremolata.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Volume 7 Osso Buco - Who Has Made This? by Mare749 (Wish I could say we ...)
Always gremolata!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Volume 7 Osso Buco - Who Has Made This? by cjs (Always gremolata!!! ...)
I've made it, but I'll have to check my notes when I get home. I know that I used anchovy paste and we liked the recipe.
  Re: Re: Volume 7 Osso Buco - Who Has Made This? by cjs (Always gremolata!!! ...)
Okay, I think I've decided which one I'm going to do. Called Wegmans and asked if they would have any veal shanks for sale tomorrow and they said to ask for them if they're not in the meat display case. Cool!

Trixxee - thank you for the sides suggestion! Hubby will probably want a baked potato. For me, orzo sounds great (haven't had it in eons!) or I might pick up some packaged risotto. Will think about that today.

Thanks everyone for all the help! I'll post the recipe later!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.