Cynthia's Italian Bread
  Re: (...)
I tried Cynthia's bread last night and it's a keeper!! Thot I'd bring it out on it's own so it doesn't get buried and lost in space.
----------
here's our family's favorite Italian bread recipe:
This can be done with an electric mixer or food processor (processor works best tho').
Combine in bowl
4C bread flour
1T sugar
1t salt
1t basil
2t garlic salt (more if you like)
1pkg yeast
1/2C grated parm. cheese
1 T olive oil

Blend well, adding water (up to 1 and 1/2 C) slowly til dough forms. Beat on med for 3 minutes or 45 sec. in processor.
Place in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap til doubled(about 45mins)
Punch down and shape into a baguette in bread trough or on baking sheet.Make 3 slashes across top with a sharp knife. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and raise again for 30mins
Bake at 375 for 30-35mins on stone (may take longer without stone) Serve warm
---------

Time was at a premium for me yesterday, so I skipped one rising and I still had two beautiful baquettes!! I also rolled each out and schmeared with roasted garlic, but the garlic was too sweet from the roasting for a good garlicky flavor to the bread, will work on this another time. maybe some kalamatas, different cheeses, this is really a good base to work with.

One more thing, my food processor is not big enuf for this size recipe, so used the kitchen aid - was afraid I'd burn up my poor old processor...

Thanks Cynthia!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cynthia's Italian Bread by cjs (I tried Cynthia's br...)
Cynthia,

I baked this today. So easy and sooooo good. I making the Lasagna soup from #54 tonight and decided that the bread would be good with it. Thanks for sharing!

Vicki
  Re: Re: Cynthia's Italian Bread by OldVirginia (Cynthia,[br][br]I ba...)
Vicki,
Glad you liked it!! Lasagne soup would be a perfect companion.
Cynthia
  Re: Cynthia's Italian Bread by cjs (I tried Cynthia's br...)
Bump
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cynthia's Italian Bread by esgunn (Bump...)
Oh thank you so much, Erin, you're a saint!!!
You know computers can be such a big help, but when they act up, it makes you feel so totally helpless.
For a minute there I thought all was going to be lost!!!
Thanks again
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cynthia's Italian Bread by farnfam (Oh thank you so much...)
Oh Good Lord!! I'd completely forgotten about this one. Thanks Erin!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cynthia's Italian Bread by cjs (Oh Good Lord!! I'd c...)
Thanks for bumping this one. I have to make bread for 150 for a cheese display this weekend.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.