Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm rubbing down some pork pieces and braising them. Do you ever pick up those little pkgs. of pork pieces meant for stir-fry dishes?? Had some in the freezer to use up. We'll see.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
No, can't say that I have. Let us know how that works out.

Family dinner tonight. Spaghetti with meatballs and sausage along with some oven roasted veggies.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by Mare749 (No, can't say that I...)
Putting some ribs in the smoker, grilling asparagus and garlic bread Then it's blackberry crisp for dessert.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by DFen911 (Putting some ribs in...)
My pork butt took 6 hours to cook yesterday - it was so weird. It was so lean it was more like a pork loin. So we never did eat any of it last night so tonight it's the tacos, black beans and rice.

I think pork is getting leaner and leaner all the time and I don't like it. LOL.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by Trixxee (My pork butt took 6 ...)
How big was your pork Trixxee? I cooked a 4 1/2lb pork shoulder (which had a lot of fat that I trimmed off) at 325 for 5 hours and it was spot on. I used the Latin pork Pernil recipe from Cuisine.

Todays dinner is grilled chicken cordon bleu with asparagus.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by losblanos1 (How big was your por...)
Blane - it was 4.07 pounds. I cooked it at 350 for 4 hours. Not sure what temp he but it back in at but he transferred it to a dutch oven and put the lid on it. I had it in a roasting pan, no lid.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by Trixxee (Blane - it was 4.07 ...)
no lid - dries meat out. That's too bad
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by cjs (no lid - dries meat ...)
Nah - Tony saved it. Tacos were really great. Have no doubt the cubano sandwiches tomorrow will be equally great.

We'll just call him the pork savior.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by Trixxee (Nah - Tony saved it....)
I'm sure liking another new method (to me) from C@H - braising meat wrapped in parchment paper. The pork pieces I did yesterday were great.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/20/15?? by cjs (I'm sure liking anot...)
Glad you saved the pork, Trixxee!

Ever have one of those "what were you thinking?" moments? Yea, just yesterday. Two weeks ago, I went with my 83 year old mom to help her pick out a new computer. She had made up her mind to get her first laptop, and with a slight suggestion from me and her friends, she decided on a Mac. Well, yesterday, I performed my first Mac lesson. It gave a whole new meaning to the word PATIENCE!

Anyway, even after all that, I managed to brave the Southport Beach Road traffic to get ingredients for Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine. I had penne pasta at home and decided to go with that. For the kids, I added lots of extra kielbasa. And according to my notes, I added a little more cayenne and a touch of Old Bay. Everyone loved it!

An aside, does anyone remember the first time I made this? You guys had to talk me into adding the raw egg yolks to the dish. LOL! I've come a long way from that one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.