Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st
  Re: (...)
If this works for all, let's go with this menu. I love a good Newberg, but have never done (or thought of a 'Spanish') -
From Issue #113

Spanish Scallop Newburg Casserole

Makes 6 servings
Total time: 45 minutes

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
3/4 cup diced celery
2 Tbsp. minced scallion whites and light greens
1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
1 lb. fresh or frozen bay scallops, thawed if frozen, and patted dry
1 jar pimentos (4 oz.), drained and chopped
1/2 cup finely crushed Ritz crackers (about 14 crackers)
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. each kosher salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup dry sherry
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
3/4 cup shredded Manchego cheese
Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425°. Coat a 1-qt.baking dish with nonstick spray.

Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a sauté pan over medium heat; add celery, scallion whites and light greens, and garlic and cook, covered, until celery softens, 7–9 minutes. Stir in scallops, pimentos, cracker crumbs, scallion greens, 2 Tbsp. parsley, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; transfer to prepared dish. Wipe pan clean.

Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in same pan; sprinkle in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk until smooth; cook sauce until thick and coats the back of a spoon. Off heat, stir in sherry and paprika; season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over scallop mixture; sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake casserole until scallops are cooked through and cheese is golden and bubbly, 15 minutes; garnish with parsley.

Per serving: 283 cal; 16g total fat (10g sat); 58mg chol; 643mg sodium; 14g carb; 1g fiber; 15g protein

--------------------
Frisée Salad
If you don’t like or can’t find frisée, you can substitute escarole or romaine lettuce.
Makes 4 servings (8 cups)
Total time: 10 minutes

WHISK:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and black pepper to taste

TOSS:
8 cups Frisée

Whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and Dijon in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Toss frisée with vinaigrette.

Per serving: 146 cal; 14g total fat (2g sat); 0mg chol; 38mg sodium; 4g carb; 3g fiber; 1g protein

---------------------------
and, an optional dessert - I just may do this one, but cut it down to just 2 servings!!

Whipped Café Crème
Can’t decide between coffee and dessert? With this creamy, billowy, coffee-flavored, mousse-like “pudding” you can have both, in one.
Makes six 6-oz. servings
Total time: about 50 minutes + chilling

3 cups heavy cream, divided
3 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar, divided
Whipped cream
Chopped chocolate covered
espresso beans

Heat 1 cup cream in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water until an instant-read thermometer registers 175°. Off heat, stir in espresso powder; let stand 5 minutes.

Whip together yolks and 1/4 cup sugar with a hand mixer on medium speed until pale yellow and thick, 5 minutes; slowly whisk in half of the cream-espresso mixture.

Pour yolk mixture into remaining cream-espresso mixture.

Cook cream-yolk mixture in a bowl set over simmering water, stirring often, until an instantread thermometer registers 175°. Transfer bowl of cream-yolk mixture to an ice water bath; gently stir until cool.

Whip remaining 2 cups cream with a hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form; add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue whipping until firm peaks form.
Fold whipped cream into creamyolk mixture in three additions,
just until blended. Divide Whipped Café Crème among six serving cups; cover and chill 1–2 days.

Garnish Whipped Café Crème with additional whipped cream
and espresso beans.

Per serving: 537 cal; 49g total fat (29g sat); 349mg chol; 54mg sodium; 21g carb; 0g fiber; 5g protein
----

This was hard - the issue is full of good ideas, one of the best in the last few months, so if too many of you are not into this choice let me know....I'm flexible.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by cjs (If this works for al...)
Uhhhhhh.....shall I rethink this choice???? No problem to do so, there are so many great ideas in this issue.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by cjs (Uhhhhhh.....shall I ...)
I love the sound of this menu and we have not had scallops or a good newburg in a while. The salad sound like a great idea to have with it and even though we don't do too many desserts, I think we will be doing this one. So, I'm in for this one!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by Mare749 (I love the sound of ...)
whew, finally - o.k. one is good for me. We're on.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by cjs (whew, finally - o.k....)
I've never had Newburg anything before, I'll give this a try, but I'm going to halve the recipe.
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by losblanos1 (I've never had Newbu...)
(You'll be sorryyyyyyyyy...... . )
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by cjs ((You'll be sorryyyyy...)
Looks good to me!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by Gourmet_Mom (Looks good to me!...)
I apologize to all, I couldn't get to my dinner by today, so I won't be posting for a few more. But, Please - go ahead with your reviews and I'll catch up.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by cjs (I apologize to all, ...)
My photos don't do this dish justice. It was delicious and we would have it again, but with few adjustments. I thought that it had either too much celery or I cut it too small, because that taste was a bit stronger than we would have liked.

Also, 1/2 tsp. of pepper gives this dish a bit of heat, so beware. That could be the pepper that I used. It's in one of those large containers from Sam's Club and is pretty fine, so it seems hotter than when we crack the whole peppercorns. Might be a good idea to taste as you go.

Overall, this is a quick and easy dish. The oven time was just enough for the scallops to cook without being overdone. We both wanted rice, so that is how I served it and would do that again.
[Image: IMG_1302_zpsa5footck.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1304_zpslvofrjvu.jpg]

ETA: Forgot to make the salad and cooked some spinach to go with this. We liked that because it cut the richness of the dish. Decided to pass on the dessert this time. Might want to try that one another time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Issue #113 Review Dinner - Due August 31st by Mare749 (My photos don't do t...)
darn, now I'm really anxious!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com