OT- what do you do for people working for you?
  Re: (...)
DH finally realized that all of the packing and moving and lifting that we have done over the last 2 years did our backs no good, so he hired some guys to do the more difficult parts of landscaping for us. They start Monday. They will remove sod, add mulch to the planting beds, and make gravel footpaths as well as a gravel patio area and move existing irrigation lines. It's supposed to be quite hot and humid and I am making blocks of ice and will have bottles of water out for them (in a cooler). There aren't many trees in our development, but we did get a piece of property with some nice tall oaks near the back, so I was thinking of dragging some old metal lawn chairs (which need scraped and painted, but I've been planning that project for 20 years...) out to the shade for them to sit on to rest or eat lunch or have a water break. I think that it's the least I can do.

But should I also place some old towels by the hose in case they need to clean off a bit? Or is that going too far? I suggested running an extension cord outside for a big ol' box fan, but DH gave me the look (the "you're going too far" look).

I like these guys, having met them twice when they came over to give and adjust their bid. They are from Guatamala and only one speaks English, and they seem very nice and hardworking, but I don't know if I'm going too far.

What do you all think? Should it just be the water and chairs, would the towels be weird? And I thought I would buy and cut up a watermelon (refreshing and hydrating!) but, again, I got "the look".
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by foodfiend (DH finally realized ...)
I think that all sounds really nice and considerate. Doesn't cost anything to put out some old towels and chairs in the shade near the hose. Water and watermelon are cheap. Tell your husband they'll work faster if they are hydrated and comfortable as you can be out in the heat.

Fan probably won't do a whole lot in the end though.
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by Trixxee (I think that all sou...)
So Vicci, what you're saying is these guys are hot?
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by losblanos1 (So Vicci, what you'r...)
If it were me, I would make sure of a lot of iced down water for them and of course shade for breaks. But, other than that, I don't think so.

Altho, it would also depend on how many days this job is. It it's a one day job, I would offer to get them pizzas or deli sandwiches for lunch. If it's a multi-day job, I would offer them lunch on the last day and/or a bonus depending on the weather/job well done/etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by cjs (If it were me, I wou...)
Vicci, I like to treat people kindly and would also want to provide cold water and shade.

However, I have to caution you only because of what happened to my daughter this summer. She hired "a really nice contractor" to build a deck on the back of her house and install two sets of sliding glass doors, one from the kitchen, the other from the family room, two tiers, the length of the house. Not a small job. Her workers completely took advantage of her kindness and only worked 53 hours in 3 months, then broke the contract and quit. She is left with 23 posts in the ground, no deck, two doors that are installed and not sealed so they leak, and bare walls where the doors were installed. Then, the contractor had an attorney send a letter to Holly stating that SHE broke the contract and owes him money.

Fortunately for us, we have an attorney in the family to help her out and the city inspectors are on her side, so it will eventually be resolved.

The street we live on is now required to get rid of our septic systems and hook into the sewer lines that were installed last summer. The contractor who is doing our work is a super nice man. I plan to make them pizza on the last day of work IF all goes well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by Mare749 (Vicci, I like to tre...)
I think it sounds nice.

It does remind me of a picture William took of some workers at a survey site he was doing. The guys were helping build the house. After lunch, they whipped out a couple of hammocks, angled their trucks and strung them between the trucks. It was HILARIOUS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by Gourmet_Mom (I think it sounds ni...)
Our concrete guys loved the pizzas so well, I ended up giving them books!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by cjs (Our concrete guys lo...)
Many comments to reply to!

Quote:

So Vicci, what you're saying is these guys are hot?

Not so much, in the way that you are thinking! Would be nice, tho...

Maryann, for the guys who added a bath on to the farmhouse, I made coffee every day, made soup on cold rainy days, gave them ibuprofen and cold meds when needed. In short, I was a bit of a chump because they left without finishing (and worked very few hours during the last month). This experience made me wonder if I'm too "soft", and gives DH fuel for his reasons why we should do nothing! I'm glad that Holly has the resources to have this resolved in her favor.

Daphne, really? Stringing hammocks between the trucks?! How hilarious (they obviously take the afternoon siesta very seriously)!

Jean, the job will take 3-4 days, and DH will give them all a nice tip when they finish. I'm just not certain what they would want to eat, and when they take lunch (if they do at all, I've seen some crews that work through lunch on these hot days and leave early).

So I scrubbed the metal chairs today and placed them in a shady area, and there are a dozen blocks of ice in the freezer and a case of bottled water in the fridge. We'll wing it from there! If I go out tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll pick up a watermelon, too.

Thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by foodfiend (Many comments to rep...)
The summer I was pregnant with Kendra our barn burned. We were left with a small window to rebuild, lots of critters that went to various places in the neighborhood and a short time to find a contractor. We found an Amish family that did construction and actually listened to what we wanted to do. They poured the foundation the beginning of September and then started erecting the barn. I would invite them in for their breaks, especially as the weather started turning colder, made them coffee and they started to share their lunches with Chelsea who was just 18 months at the time. But this was a huge step for them since they normally don't make friendships like that. I would send out cold drinks on hot days and coffee on the cold days.
It ended up that we became more than a business relationship - we were invited to two of their weddings, and they called me several times after Bruce passed to offer their condolences and assistance if I needed anything done. I guess I agree with treating people kindly and with respect. Do you need to provide anything - probably not, but if you were in their shoes, would you appreciate a cold drink, a chair to sit down in and a slice of watermelon - I sure would!
  Re: Re: OT- what do you do for people working for you? by iBcookin (The summer I was pre...)
Wow - love that, Linda - I guess it boils down to who you are working with. Our concrete guys have become very good friends (Roy is ready to adopt one of the guys), so I think you play to your audience, so to speak.

I would make an entire dinner for these two guys the next time they do something for us.
www.achefsjourney.com