Carnitas
  Re: (...)
Ashley is looking for a killer recipe. There is one in the Cuisine Library, but I thought some of you had posted some tried and true recipes. Especially Alina. Where is she, anyway? I don't remember seeing her for a few weeks. Although, my visits have been spotty, also.

Also looking for a recipe similar to the Braised Beef Tortellini from Olive Garden. She loves it and believes it could be much better home made.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Carnitas by Gourmet_Mom (Ashley is looking fo...)
Hi Daphne, here's my favorite carnitas recipe. I've made them the slow way and in the pressure cooker for the first part. Equally good. Please note that I'm not a cilantro fan, so I skip it.

JUICY CARNITAS***** Servings: 6

Carnitas can be prepared through step 3 up to three days in advance. Pork can be crisped up straight from the refrigerator.
Ingredients

Oven Temperature: 275°F

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours and 45 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours and 15 minutes

1½ medium onions
½ cup chopped cilantro (I use parsley or skip it)
3 lbs. boneless pork butt (shoulder), rind removed, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 TBS. Kosher salt
1 medium orange
4 cloves garlic, split in half (I always use more 5-6)
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick, broken into three or four pieces
¼ cup vegetable oil (I use garlic olive oil)

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 275° F.

Cut one onion into fine dice (and combine with cilantro if using). Refrigerate until needed. Split remaining onion into quarters. Set aside. Season pork chunks with 1 TBS. salt and place in a 9 by 13 glass casserole dish. The pork should fill the dish with no spaces. Split orange into quarters and squeeze juice over pork. Nestle squeezed orange pieces into casserole. Add 2 onion quarters, 4 cloves garlic, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick to casserole. Nestle everything into an even layer. Pour vegetable oil over surface. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and place in oven. Cook until pork is fork tender, about 3½ hours.

Set large fine-meshed strainer 1 quart liquid measure or bowl. Using tongs, remove orange peel, onion, garlic, cinnamon stick, and bay leaves from pork. Transfer pork and liquid to strainer. Let drain for 10 minutes. Transfer pork back to casserole.
You should end up with about ½ cup liquid and ½ cup fat. Using a flat spoon or de-fatter, skim fat from surface and add back to pork. (I put the liquid in fridge or freezer to separate better, then reheat in microwave to mix with the meat and put back after meat is shredded)
Shred pork into large chunks with fingers or two forks. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Reserve remaining liquid for another use. (The remaining pork liquid is wonderful to use in Braised Beef with Anchovies and Rosemary)

To serve: Place broiler safe casserole dish with pork 4-inches under a high broiler and broil until brown and crisp on surface, about 6 minutes. Remove pork, stir with a spoon to expose new bits to heat, and broil again for 6 more minutes until crisp. Tent with foil to keep warm. (Alternatively, Using 2 forks, pull each piece of pork in half. Fold in reduced liquid; season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread pork in even layer on wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet or on broiler pan (meat should cover almost entire surface of rack or broiler pan). Place baking sheet on lower-middle rack and broil until top of meat is well browned (but not charred) and edges are slightly crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, flip pieces of meat and continue to broil until top is well browned and edges are slightly crisp, 5 to 8 minutes longer. Make sure to use a criss-cross rack with small holes)

Recipe Type: Kenji Alt, Main Dish, Meat, Mexican Food, Onions, Pork

Author: Kenji Alt
Source: Serious Eats
Web Page: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-f...et-of-lard.html

Enjoy!
  Re: Re: Carnitas by Cubangirl (Hi Daphne, here's my...)
Good place to keep our favorites - this is mine From Diane Kennedy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Diana Kennedy's Carnitas

3 pounds pork shoulder -- butt, or country-style spare ribs, skin and bone removed
cold water to barely cover
2 teaspoons salt -- or to taste

1.Cut the meat, with the fat, into strips about 2 x 3/4 inches. Barely cover the meat with water in a flameproof dish, add the salt, and bring it to a boil, uncovered.

2.Lower the flame enough to bring down to a simmer. Let the meat continue simmering until all the liquid has evaporated -- about 1 hour and a half, depending on the shape of your pot. By this time the meat should be cooked through but not falling apart.

3.Lower the flame a little more and continue cooking the meat until all the fat has rendered out of it. Keep turning the meat until it is lightly browned all over -- about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

4.Notes: The meat will get more evenly cooked if the dish is rather large and shallow. Do not add too much water at the beginning or the meat will fall apart at the frying stage. If the meat is still fairly hard when the water has evaporated, then add a little more water and continue cooking. Choose pork that has a fair amount of fat or you will have to add some lard for it to brown properly

Description:
"Serves 4-6 The magic of pork + water + salt -- a genius recipe from The Cuisines of Mexico, by Diana Kennedy."
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Carnitas by cjs (Good place to keep o...)
Thanks you two! I'll let Ashley pick which to try first. Based on the differences in ingredients, it appears the method is what makes them carnitas.

Jean, why do you have "Ask a question about this step" after each step?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Carnitas by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you two! I'l...)
that's how I copied and pasted it years ago.......... gone now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Carnitas by cjs (that's how I copied ...)
LOL! I was wondering if I was supposed to ask questions, when it seemed perfectly straight forward to me!
Daphne