Cake Icing Q
  Re: (...)
Okay All,

I've got and icing question I just made two batches of this:

6 oz semi sweet chocolate
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light cream
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Melt the butter, chocolate and cream in a sauce pan over med low heat. Put powdered sugar into bowl in an ice bath. Pour melted chocolate into powdered sugar and whip until icing is set.

This is a great icing recipe, but it takes a while to set and then I have to frost the cake real fast because it literally melts at room temperature. And I have to keep the cake in the fridge all the time as well.

Does anyone see anything "wrong" with this recipe? This is where Alina's cooking science knowledge would help.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Cake Icing Q by BarbaraS (Okay All,[br][br]I'v...)
You know me and pastry/baking.... I wish I could help you, but other than the quantities sounds off (to me) - 2 cups okys liquid to 2 1/2 cups p. sugar does not sound right to me.

Here are a couple of ratios that work:
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
5 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
------
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon milk (1 to 3 teaspoons)

"whip until icing is set." does this mean close to whipped?? using lightcream??????????

Boy, I'm befuddled here. So I'll shut up!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cake Icing Q by cjs (You know me and past...)
Yep Jean, I was thinking it's a little light in the powdered sugar area. I didn't want to take the risk and add more.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cake Icing Q by BarbaraS (Yep Jean, I was thin...)
Barbara, to me that looks like more of a ganache-type "icing" than the regular cake icing where you can slather it over and between a couple of layers then transport it to a gathering. You can definitely add more powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit, just know that it will be even sweeter. In looking at it again, I might have softened the butter instead of melting it... but it does contain my favrite things and sounds like something I'd not mind eating with a spoon.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Cake Icing Q by foodfiend (Barbara, to me that ...)
Well I think I do have your addy somewhere and will ***** the extra...

It is a really good icing. I actually used to use Plugra butter but used normal butter this time. And always Ghirardelli chocolate.

Barbara