OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints?
  Re: (...)
Just curious...do you complain to the waitress or manager right then and there? Do you call the manager later or do you just not go back?

I'm asking because yesterday I took my dad to one of his favorite little Italian diners for lunch. We have been going there for the last few years every few weeks and he loves to order their baked ravioli casserole for lunch. It's just the right size and they always bring it out piping hot coated with yummy sauce and gooey cheese. At the same time, he orders one of their strombolis to take home because they have always been spectacular and he snacks on that later in the evening and next day.

Well, yesterday something was not right. Our food was barely warm, in fact Dad's raviolis were actually cold in the middle and not much sauce or cheese. It took forever to get the stromboli that he was taking home and when he opened the box, it didn't even look like their usual menu item. On top of that, it was burnt on the bottom and laying in a pool of oil. Since he just told me this today, it's a bit "after the fact".

So, I'm trying to decide if I should let the owner/manager know about our experience since we really do like to go there?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by Mare749 (Just curious...do yo...)
If I have a bad experience I write to the owner or manager via snail mail. It usually has more impact. I give dates, names, and details of whatever I can. I keep it polite, but tell the story.

I figure if I owned a restaurant, I would want to know. I would also want to correct it. I have gotten entire comped dinners doing this too. They seem to be grateful to hear the truth and make it right.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by luvnit (If I have a bad expe...)
Since you go there quite often, I would drop in and tell them (by yourself) of your Dad's experience and how disappointed you and he were with the service and the food. Someone should have noticed this!

Next time you go in, if it were me, I would also remind the manager of the past experience and since you told him/her about it in person, I'm sure they will remember. And, I'd be surprised if they didn't comp your dad his next order!!

Don't let it slide tho - a cook and/or server could possibly be right on the line of being fired and this should be added to whatever points are against him/her/them.

what a bummer

P.S. Just remembered - a month or so ago, I ordered a dish and it came out not as advertised on the menu and when I called them on it, the whole kitchen was scrambling to get different sauces out to try with the dish and we all had a good time testing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by cjs (Since you go there q...)
Good luck Maryann! Surely the owner/manager will make it right. I'm sorry your dad had such a bad experience at one of his favorite spots.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck Maryann! ...)
Since you know about it after the fact I would go in in person and have a quick conversation with the owner or manager. You never know if snail mail got there. I can't stand getting sub-par lukewarm or cold food. This happened to us a while ago and we were splitting an entree and Tony kept eating it and said STOP - let's let them get it right and by the time the server stopped by I felt like an person returning it at that point. Tony is much more forgiving than I am about things like temperature.

We mentioned it to the server and he seemed nonplussed. No comp'd dessert, no nothing. Left a 10% tip and will not return nor recommend the place.
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by Trixxee (Since you know about...)
Maryann, you should absolutely either call or see the manager in person. Something was just not right on the day you were there and they need to figure out what happened and correct it!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by foodfiend (Maryann, you should ...)
Thanks everyone. I have had the same thoughts that all of you expressed and think that it really would be the right thing to do to talk to the owner about this. It would be such a shame to not have this place on our list of favorite lunch spots. Unfortunately, it's not close to home and will take me about 40 minutes by highway to drive back out there, so I'm going to make sure that the owner is in before I go out to talk with him. I did not see him there today which was unusual.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by Mare749 (Thanks everyone. I ...)
Go get 'em, Tiger!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by cjs (Go get 'em, Tiger!! ...)
Of course, there's always the old trick of dropping a penny (as the tip) into your water glass, covering the glass with something like a playing card, inverting the glass onto the table, then sliding out the card.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT--What do you do when a restaurant disappoints? by labradors (Of course, there's a...)
There is that, Labs.
www.achefsjourney.com