Bagel Recipe
  Re: (...)
Roxanne, here is the bagel recipe I use. It's from The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. I used bread flour and brown sugar instead of high-gluten and malt. We were thrilled with them...but people do seem to have widely varying tastes on what make a bagel good. I did get some high-gluten flour and malt for next time, but mostly out of curiosity. I am a little worried that all that gluten's going to kill my mixer!

Bagels

Makes 12 large or 24 mini bagels

SPONGE:
1 teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast
4 cups (18 ounces) unbleached high-gluten or bread flour
2 1/2 cups (20 ounces) water, at room temperature

DOUGH:
1/2 teaspoon (.055 ounce) instant yeast
3 3/4 cups (17 ounces) unbleached high-gluten or bread flour
2 3/4 teaspoons (.7 ounce) salt
2 teaspoons (.33 ounce) malt powder
OR
1 Tablespoon dark or light malt syrup, honey, or brown sugar

TO FINISH:
1 Tablespoon baking soda
Cornmeal or semolina flour for dusting
Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, kosher salt, rehydrated dried minced onions or onions, or chopped fresh onions that have been tossed in oil (optional)

1. To make the sponge, stir the yeast into the flour in a 4-quart mixing bowl. Add the water, whisking or stirring only until it forms a smooth sticky batter (like pancake batter). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for approximately 2 hours, or until the mixture becomes very foamy and bubbly. It should swell to nearly double in size and collapse when the bowl is tapped on the countertop.

2. To make the dough, in the same mixing bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer), add the additional yeast to the sponge and stir. Then add 3 cups of the flour and all of the salt and malt (or sugar/honey). Stir (or mix on low speed with the dough hook) until the ingredients form a ball, slowly working in the remaining 3/4 cup flour to stiffen the dough.

3. Transfer the dough to counter and knead for at least 10 minutes (or for 6 minutes by machine). The dough should be firm, stiffer than French bread dough, but still pliable and smooth. There should be no raw flour--all the ingredients should be hydrated. The dough should pass the windowpane test and register 77 to 81 degrees. If the dough seems too dry and rips, add a few more drops of water and continue kneading. If the dough seems tacky or sticky, add more flour to achieve the stiffness required. The kneaded dough should feel satiny and pliable but not be tacky.

4. Immediately divide the dough into 4 1/2 ounce pieces for standard bagels, or smaller if desired. Form the pieces into rolls by rolling dough into a ball.

Form your hand into a cup, place dough inside. Firmly press dough into counter as if trying to push it through the counter, simultaneously rotating your hand in a circular motion, driving the dough with the outer edge of your hand. The dough should pop up into your palm and form a tight round ball.

(My note: This sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Basically you just want the dough in a ball with the surface stretched to form a tight skin.)

5. Cover the rolls with a damp towel and allow them to rest for approximately 20 minutes.

6. Line 2 sheet pans with baking parchment and mist lightly with spray oil. Proceed with one of the following shaping methods.

Method 1: Poke a hole in a ball of bagel dough and gently rotate your thumb around the inside of the hole to widen it to approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter. The dough should be as evenly stretched as possible (try to avoid thick and thin spots

Method 2: Roll out the dough into an 8-inch-long rope. This may require allowing the dough to rest if it keeps snapping back. Wrap the dough around the palm and back of your hand, between thumb and fore-finger, overlapping the ends by several inches. Press the overlapping ends on the counter with the palm of your hand, rocking back and forth to seal.

7. Place each of the shaped pieces 2 inches apart on the pans. Mist the bagels very lightly with the spray oil and slip each pan into a food-grade plastic bag, or cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let the pans sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.

8. Check to see if bagels are ready to be stupid in the refrigerator by using the "float test". Fill a small bowl with cool or room-temperature water. The bagels are ready to be stupid when they float within 10 seconds of being dropped into the water. Take one bagel and test it. If it floats, immediately return the tester bagel to the pan, pat it dry, cover the pan, and place it in the refrigerator overnight (it can stay in the refrigerator up to 2 days). If the bagel does not float, return it to the pan and continue to proof the dough, checking back every 10 to 20 minutes or so until a tester floats. The time needed to accomplish the float will vary, depending on the ambient temperature and the stiffness of the dough.

9. The following day (or when you are ready to bake the bagels), preheat the oven to 500 degrees with the two racks set in the middle of the oven. Bring a large pot of water to a boil (the wider the pot the better), and add the baking soda. Have a slotted spoon or skimmer nearby. (My note: I use my 12-inch chicken fryer, and it works great!)

10. Remove the bagels from the refrigerator and gently drop them into the water, boiling only as many as comfortably fit (they should float within 10 seconds). (My note: Put the bagels in upside-down so that they are right-side-up when you take them out. Then when you put them on the prepared baking sheet, the cornmeal will be on the flat bottom of the bagel.) After 1 minute flip them over and boil for another minute. If you like very chewy bagels, you can extend the boiling to 2 minutes per side. While the bagels are boiling, sprinkle the same parchment-lined sheet pans with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you decide to replace the paper, be sure to spray the new paper lightly with spray oil to prevent the bagels from sticking to the surface.) If you want to top the bagels, do so as soon as they come out of the water. You can use any of the suggestions in the ingredients lists or a combination. I make a seed and salt blend.

11. When all the bagels have been boiled, place the pans on the 2 middle shelves in the oven. Bake for approximately 5 minutes, then rotate the pans, switching shelves and giving the pans a 180 degree rotation. (If you are baking only 1 pan, keep it on the center shelf, but still rotate 180 degrees.) After the rotation, lower the oven setting to 450 degrees and continue baking for about 5 minutes, or until the bagels turn light golden brown. You may bake them darker if you prefer.

12. Remove the pans from the oven and let the bagels cool on a rack for 15 minutes or longer before serving. (My note: These bagels cool FAST....I like mine hot/warm so I don't wait that long.)
Tammy
  Re: Bagel Recipe by TwilightKitten (Roxanne, here is the...)
WOW---thank you so very much for posting this enormous recipe. I hope you are a faster typist than I am--I would be typing for another two weeks..LOL

This is very similar to the recipe I last attempted. One thing I noted was that the author, Lauren Groveman recommended NO mixer---hands are the perfect too for her recipe--just a thought. I used barley malt and bread flour as well. There is a great video available on line if anyone is interested in watching these babies made with Lauren and Julia Child. Some great tips there. Go to
http://pbs-juliachild.onstreammedia.com/...viKeyword=bagel

Just copy and paste into your address line

I will try your version as comparison--when I get the into the bagel making mode again.

Thanx again for your precious time and have a great day!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by Roxanne 21 (WOW---thank you so v...)
LOL...it was enormous, wasn't it? I don't remember how long it took me to type it. I type it up a couple a weeks ago for my dad. Thankfully, I saved it so it was just a little cut and paste. lol...imagine having to type it twice!

Hand mixing...hmmm....maybe I could just start it in the mixer. That mixer gets dough so much smoother than I ever could do by hand. I guess I just need more practice with the hand kneading.

And, wow, what a great link! Thank you!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by TwilightKitten (LOL...it was enormou...)
Ya know---once I carefully reviewed your recipe there are many different aspects to the one I previously made. I will definitely try this one with the mixer---much more user friendly for sure. You have put the spark under my bum to give it another go---sooner than later---thank you for that (I THINK!!!???!!!!)
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by Roxanne 21 (Ya know---once I car...)
Quote:

You have put the spark under my bum

lol...ouch! That sounds painful! I need to get a spark under my own bum to make them again. Ok, ok...I'll make them Sunday night. Good luck with your bagels..I can't wait to hear how they come out!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by TwilightKitten ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This is just my 2cents but we use this recipe from Charles Van Over called NY Bagels. It's a little simplier maybe and the food processor makes it a cinch, if you've got one.
Anyway, I thought I'd post it, if you try it let me know how you like it.
BTW what kinds of shmears(spreads) do you like on your bagel. At our house it's bagels, cream cheese and lox!YUM
Here's the recipe:
Unbleached bread flour 3 1/3 to 4 cups
Brown sugar 4 teaspoons
Fine sea salt 2 teaspoons
Instant yeast 1 teaspoon(or a little more)
Water 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons
Baking soda 1 teaspoon
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Sesame, poppy, or caraway seeds, coarse salt, or dried onion (optional)
for garnish
Cornmeal for baking sheet
1. Generously sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and set aside.
2. Place the flour, brown sugar, salt, and yeast in a food processor fitted with
the metal blade. Using an instant-read thermometer, adjust the water
temperature so that the combined temperatures of the flour and the water give
a base temperature of 130 degrees F if using a Cuisinart or RecipeAid or 150
degrees F if using a Braun. With the machine running, pour all but 2
tablespoons of the water through the feed tube. Process for 20 seconds,
adding the remaining water if the dough seems dry and does not some
together in a ball during this time.
3. Stop the machines and let the dough rest in the processor bowl for 5
minutes. It will noticeably soften as it rests. Then process for 25 seconds
longer, for a total mixing time of 45 seconds.
4. Stop the machine and take the temperature of the dough with an
instant-read thermometer. It should be between 75 degrees F and 80 degrees
F. If the temperature is lower than 75 degrees F, process the dough for an
additional 5 seconds, up to twice more, until it reaches the desired
temperature. If the temperature is higher than 80 degrees F, remove the
thermometer , scrape the dough from the food processor into an ungreased
bowl, and refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes. Check the temperature after 5
minutes; it should be 80 degrees F or cooler by that time.
5. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. It will be relatively
firm. With a dough scraper or kitchen knife, divide the dough into 6 equal
pieces.
6. To form the bagels, take each piece of dough and roll it into a ball. Flatten
the ball, then fold it in half, sealing the edges with your fingertips. Then fold
again to form a tight cylinder. Roll the dough into a tube about 9 inches long.
Wrap this piece around the palm of your hand, overlapping the dough about 2
inches. Pinch the ends together to form a ring. (The hole in a bagel formed
this way will be the right proportion once the dough is proofed, boiled, then
baked.) Repeat with the remaining balls and transfer the bagels to the baking
sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart.
7. Rub a bit of flour on the top of each bagel, then cover the sheet loosely
with plastic wrap. (the flour will keep the plastic wrap from sticking to the
dough as it ferments.) Place the bagels in the refrigerator for 12 to 16 hours,
preferable overnight.
8. The next day, one hour before baking, put the oven rack on the second
shelf from the bottom of the oven and place the baking stone on the rack.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
9. Take the bagels from the refrigerator. Remove the plastic wrap and let
them proof at room temperature, 70 degrees F to 72 degrees F, for 20 to 25
minutes. While the bagels are proofing, bring a 4-quart pot of water to boil.
Add the baking soda and sugar. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal.
10. Test to see that the bagels are proofed: Insert and instant-read
thermometer into the center of one to check the internal temperature of the
dough; it should be between 55 degrees F and 60 degrees F.
11. Set a colander in the sink. Drop one bagel in the boiling water. If it floats
this means the bagels are proofed and ready to be boiled and baked. Boil the
bagel for 5 to 10 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to turn it over and boil it for
another 5 to 10 seconds. Transfer the bagel from the boiling water to drain in
the colander. Boil the remaining bagels, one at a time, in the rapidly boiling
water for o more than 10 seconds on each side, then drain them in the
colander. Do not be concerned if the bagels sit on top of each other while
draining. They are resilient and will regain their shape when baked.
12. Transfer the drained bagels to the baking sheet, spaced 2 inches apart.
While the bagels are still wet from boiling, sprinkle them with the optional
toppings.
13. Place the baking sheet in the oven. Reduce the heat to 425 degrees F and
bake for about 10 minutes. Open the oven and rotate the tray of bagels so that
they brown evenly. Continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes longer until the
bagels are uniformly browned.
14. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the bagels to a wire
rack to cool. Serve the bagels warm from the oven or let them cool
completely before storing.
Store the bagels in a paper bag for up to 24 hours. For longer storage, put the
bagels in a plastic bag and store in the freezer. They will keep, frozen, for up
to a month. Thaw them at room temperature for 10 minutes before reheating.
Guess it was a little more than 2cents
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by farnfam (This is just my 2cen...)
Ok...questions:

1. You use a metal blade for the dough? Not the plastic dough one? I guess maybe because bagel dough is stiffer? lol...just a guess. How cool that you can make it in a food processor! Would all that dough fit into an 11-cup bowl, you think?

2. You put a baking sheet on the stone? Not the bagels directly on the stone, right?

Ok...now answers: I love my bagels with lox and cream cheese too...but silly me didn't even think about it when I made my bagels! After they were gone, I had that "Doh!" moment...complete with forehead slap! Next time I'll have my yummy warm bagels with lox and cream cheese, for sure! Thanks for reminding me because, yeah, I forgot again.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by TwilightKitten (Ok...questions:[br][...)
I tried the food processor---NO GO!!! I could smell the motor burning out because the dough became too stiff. I thought for sure that my processor was a goner but fortunately I stopped the process in time. That's when I realized that the hand techniques was probably the best. With your recipe though I think the mixer will work beautifully---will definitely try.

The bagels go directly on the stone--be sure that the transfer mode is well covered with cornmeal, semolina or a combination with seeds. I used semolina and sesame seed mix---AWESOME!!! Also--be sure to heat the stone at temperature for at least 30 minutes and clean (brush) off any left over covering mix before baking the next batch---otherwise you will have burned semolina/cornmeal/seeds--as well as smoke and burn fumes

I'm beginning to get motivated again to attempt another bagel making session. Anybody have any idea how long the cool rise should take? Must depend on that float test mentioned in your recipe--DUH!!!!
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by Roxanne 21 (I tried the food pro...)
TW for my recipe
Q1 I use the larger metal blade, even tho my dough blade is metal it's smaller and the Cusinart directions said it would have a hard time throwing less than 4 Cups of flour around.
Q2 We put the cookie sheet right on the stone. It works really well with those airbake type sheets. They prevent the bottom from burning while the top browns nicely.

We have a 14Cup Food prep, if the recipe seems to strain your 11 Cup maybe you could cut the dough in two as soon as it balls up and process in two batches. We love to puy these in the fridge to rise on a Friday or Saturday evening and boil and bake them the next morning fresh for breakfast.
I was thinking about the coming Easter morning but now I'm getting a huge lox craving MMMMM.
  Re: Re: Bagel Recipe by Roxanne 21 (I tried the food pro...)
Roxanne, I hope you do try this recipe, let me know how it works in your processor. Overnight in the fridge 12hrs or more is how we do the cool rise.
My family loves these.