Quark/ Curds
  Re: (...)
I am originally from Germany and We prepare many dishes esp. baking with an ingredient called Quark/curds. It is something between Philly chesse and sour cream. Sadly it is not available in this country or at least not in MA. Any sugg. on what I can use to make german cheesecake or maybe somebody knows to make Quark.
  Re: Quark/ Curds by ingrid (I am originally from...)
igourmet.com
When I typed "quark" into my searh engine, lots of things popped up...not food. But igourmet.com was listed and I clicked on it. Sure enough...quark cheese was there!
Hope this helps!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Quark/ Curds by Bizymomma (igourmet.com[br]When...)
Thank u Angela I will check it out now
Ingrid
  Re: Re: Quark/ Curds by ingrid (Thank u Angela I wil...)
thank u again, angela. I ordered it for a whooping 23.00$
In germany it is a penny product. So will see if the Quality is there at least. The price we pay for the things we love.
Ingrid
  Re: Re: Quark/ Curds by ingrid (thank u again, angel...)
Do you have any Whole Foods stores near you? They carry quark.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Quark/ Curds by TwilightKitten (Do you have any Whol...)
there are whole food stores in amherst, ma. But no Quark. Thank u all for replying to this, it means a lot to me. I guess home is home
  Re: Re: Quark/ Curds by ingrid (there are whole food...)
Have you talked to the people at Whole Foods about ordering it? They are usually really good about doing that stuff.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Quark/ Curds by TwilightKitten (Have you talked to t...)
Well, I ordered it yesterday and received my precious little cargo this morning. Sorry to say that it has the consistency of a good sour cream to a whole milk stonyfield yoghurt and therefore not suitable for Quark recipes. But it does taste good on bread with jam. Oh well
Thanks everybody
Ingrid
  Re: Re: Quark/ Curds by ingrid (Well, I ordered it y...)
Don't give up yet! Do you need it thicker? Could you drain it with a strainer and a coffee filter like with yogurt? Did you check out the link to the quark maker?
Tammy
  Re: Quark/ Curds by ingrid (I am originally from...)
Hi Ingrid,

I bought some last month on a road trip to upstate NY (off the Taconic, not far south from where it ends at I90) - made fresh at a farm and absolutely delicious.

Since I can't find it in Maine, I make my own which is similar. In fact, I just made it this past weekend. I follow the recipe for Neufchatel, but use skim milk instead of goat's milk. You can see instructions at: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Che...chatel.htm .

Great website!
cheers,
Sabine (originally from Switzerland, so I feel your pain!)