Review- Greek Pork Stew
  Re: (...)
Jean posted this a couple of weeks ago, and I finally got around to making it. We liked the stew on the first night, but I have to say that the subsequent 2 dinners were much better. Mostly because, really, most stews benefit from being made in advance so the flavors could "meld". I added a lot of garlic (3 large cloves) to the initial cooking, but put in even more garlic (another 2 large cloves) when reheating the leftovers.

GREEK PORK STEW

1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin -- cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 ounces baby carrots
2 medium onions -- cut into 6 thin wedges
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup crumbled Feta cheese
Cooked noodles -- if desired

Combine pork and flour; toss to coat evenly with flour. Place in 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Stir in carrots and onions. Combine tomato paste, wine, water, lemon juice, cumin and cinnamon; mix until well blended.

Stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6-7 hours or until pork is tender. Stir in sugar. Serve over cooked noodles. Sprinkle each serving with a small amount of nuts and cheese.

Cuisine:
"Greek"
Source:
"National Pork Producers Council"

Additionally, I halved the cumin and cinnamon and added 2t dried oregano and 2T chopped fresh parsley to the recipe.

The pork was so tender it fell apart when we looked at it. For the final meal, I served the stew over spinach-garlic rice (nope, can't have too much garlic!) and we both agreed that it was the best "variation".
The cheese is essential, but I didn't use the walnuts.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Review- Greek Pork Stew by foodfiend (Jean posted this a c...)
So glad y'all like this also. We sure did - I did make mention of maybe adding a little heat to the dish and probably a couple more garlic cloves might do the trick.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review- Greek Pork Stew by cjs (So glad y'all like t...)
Sounds fabulous. We just bought a few whole loins.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.