Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce
  Re: (...)
Oh boy, this is a keeper and so very easy - here is F&W's description: "The delectably rich-tasting sauce that clings to each strand of fettuccine here requires no cooking. Just combine goat cheese, Parmesan, milk, and some of the still-hot pasta-cooking water, and it's done." The recipe was on their newsletter earlier this week.

I'm not crazy about tarragon, so I used basil - also the mushrooms I had were leftover fried mushrooms, an appie from dinner out. Roy's going to order them again just for the leftovers to add to this dish. I made 1/2 the recipe and we had enough for 2 smaller servings later.

Fettuccine with Mushrooms, Tarragon, and Goat-Cheese Sauce
F&W 1/9/15

1 Tbs butter
2 Tbs olive oil
1 lb mushrooms, cut into thin slices
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
2 Tbs chopped fresh tarragon, or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon -GO WITH THE BASIL
1/2 lb mild goat cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
1/3 cup milk
3/4 lb fettuccine
2 Tbs chopped fresh chives or scallion tops

1. In a large frying pan, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, and the dried tarragon, if using, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately high and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown and no liquid remains in the pan, about 5 minutes.

2. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, Parmesan, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Stir until smooth.

3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine until just done, about 12 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pasta-cooking water and drain. Whisk 1 cup of the pasta-cooking water into the goat-cheese mixture. Toss the pasta with the mushrooms, the goat-cheese sauce, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil, the fresh tarragon, if using, and the chives. If the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved pasta-cooking water. Serve with additional Parmesan.

Author Notes
Notes Variation Use fresh basil instead of or in addition to the tarragon and chives in the recipe.

Suggested Pairing -- Dolcetto, while beloved in Piedmont, is less appreciated in the United States. Yet its light tannins, cherry fruit, and clean, dry finish are just the ticket to balance the full flavor of the cheeses here.

This is a great sauce and I'll bet I'll use it for many different dishes.

P.S. Forgot I took pictures - this one is crisping up the l/o fried mushrooms -

[Image: Jan9FryingloFriedMushrooms_zps38c23867.jpg]

[Image: Jan9FettwmushroomsBasilGoat-cheesesauce_zpsdc79582a.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce by cjs (Oh boy, this is a ke...)
That sounds absolutely delicious, Jean!
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce by karyn (That sounds absolute...)
Thanks Karyn and I'm thinking of so many ways to use this sauce.

Denise - take not of the goat cheese.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce by cjs (Thanks Karyn and I'm...)
Love the goat cheese, would have to use goat's milk too and omit the Parm. But this looks like one tasty dish
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce by DFen911 (Love the goat cheese...)
Oh my!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my!!!!...)
Heaven! I SO wish that Jack liked goat cheese...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce by foodfiend (Heaven! I SO wish t...)
Denise - I have found Goat Parmesan and it's quite tasty.

If you can't find, a couple of subs -

Manchego

and/or
Kefalotyri resembles aged Spanish Manchego with tones of Parmesan. Amazon has it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine w Mushrooms & Goat-Cheese Sauce by cjs (Denise - I have foun...)
Yes! Manchego or kefalotyri, depending of whether I get to Trader Joes or the Greek store first. Thanks for the recommendations, Jean!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com