Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15??
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner for everyone??

I'm not sure here - think we're running low on New Year's leftovers - thank God! Can't eat like that again for a long while!

Finished the Caviar Sauce with pasta last night- OMG, that is just the best sauce in the world!

[Image: Jan2LOCaviarSaucedPasta_zpsd878edc3.jpg]

NOT AN EGG LEFT!!!!
[Image: Jan2CleanDishClub_zps56cbade9.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by cjs (What's for dinner fo...)
Well, as I said I have a little crème fraiche left and found this old recipe in my MasterCook recipes. Does this sound good or what!! Maybe grill a steak.....in the darn rain!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy corn with poblano chiles

2 tablespoons butter
1 small red onion -- diced, about ½ cup
1 large red bell pepper -- diced, about ¾ cup
Salt and pepper
Cayenne or finely minced red jalapeno -- optional
Kernels from 6 ears corn -- about 3 cups
2 poblano chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into ¼-inch strips
2 scallions -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1 limes -- cut in half (1 to 2)

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add a pinch of cayenne or a little minced jalapeno, if using.

Add the corn kernels and poblano strips, season again and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is cooked and tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the scallions, then the creme fraiche and allow it to heat through. Taste for seasoning, and give the corn a good squeeze of lime.

Servings » 4 to 6 servings.

Source: New York Times News Service

---------
At first I told myself I'd be so bad to make this after the way we've been eating over the holidays, but then I rationalized that anything I make to use up the rest of the crème fraiche would be bad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by cjs (Well, as I said I ha...)
Going to try a rotissiere chicken on the grill for the first time. Well, this is actually the second time. The first time Tony got the bird all seasoned and fastened to the rod, plugged it in and voila, dead motor on brand new rotissiere kit. That was fun. Not!

Fresh green beans on the side (need to figure out something good for these because we don't actually really like them). And I think I have a box of Stove Top hanging around.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by Trixxee (Going to try a rotis...)
Peter asked for a clam chowder.....sooooo...that's what it will be. I had lamb ribs ready to go but for some reason (like a really upset tummy from all the meds ???) he was a little not interested.

New England clam chowder is not the lightest soup in the world but what the heck!!

Trixxie, you might want to try brown butter green beans. Not that much extra work and you would want butter anyway, I think Just heat some butter until it turns a little brown, add some lemon juice (a tad) and maybe some garlic or onion powder. Toss with the beans and you are good to go. Simple and good IMHO
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by Roxanne 21 (Peter asked for a cl...)
William suggested we have leftovers last night, so the Chicken Piccata is on for tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (William suggested we...)
Jean, that corn dish sounds delish. How do you make your own creme fraiche?

Tonight will be the Cuban sandwiches that we didn't have last night, with a nice green salad on the side.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by Mare749 (Jean, that corn dish...)
Trixxee, I hope you got your money back on that bad rotisserie.

Tonight is copy-cat recipe night. CA is making Panda express orange chicken and I'm making P.F. Changs Mongolian beef with jasmine rice. I may also make wonton soup.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by losblanos1 (Trixxee, I hope you ...)
We did. They sent Fed Ex out to pick up the old one and within 2 days we had a new one. We did use it a couple of weeks ago for a boneless leg of lamb - this time we plugged it in before we did anything! LOL.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by Trixxee (We did. They sent F...)
Maryann, crème fraiche is so easy to make and so much cheaper - if you can make use of the extra heavy cream and buttermilk.....which is not hard to do.
This is June's recipe from years ago.

CREME FRAICHE - HOW TO MAKE - June Jacobs

2 cups whipping (heavy) cream preferably NOT ultra-pasteurized
1/4 cup buttermilk -- room temperature

1. Warm cream in heavy small saucepan to lukewarm (85 degrees F). Remove from heat and mix in buttermilk. Put the mixture into a clean glass jar (that has a tight-fitting lid), Leave the jar open and cover with a piece of waxed paper fastened with a rubber band. Let it stand in a warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room.

2. When the cream has "clotted," remove the paper and replace it with the lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Teacher's Tip Stored in this manner, the Crème Fraîche should keep until you've used it up (and made more!) Like fine cheese, it may develop a "skin", but you can remove it and use what's underneath.
---------------------
Jean's notes:
Well, murphy's law - my heavy cream WAS ultra-pastuerized and the only buttermilk on the shelves around here was/is reduced fat/1 1/2% milkfat/50%less fat than whole milk!!!

Decided to go with it and see what would result - oh my, it is delicious, creamy, beautiful crème fraiche. I left it 30 hours.

Now, I have to decide what to use it for - any suggestions? If nothing else, I could use it in my mashed tatoes Thanksgiving day.

June, how long will this keep? Any idea?

June - Wow, that is GREAT news! and besides, it WHIPS!!! so when you want that great tang on a strawberry shortcake, you can have it fluffy!

As well, it doesn't break if it gets boiled the way sour cream does, so it's great for finishing sauces.

In Washington, look for the brand of heavy cream 'Wilcox'
----

Maryann, I've never been able to find heavy cream that is not ultra-pasturized and this method is fantastic for it.

This Corn with poblano chile and crème fraiche was so darn good.

Now, I'm looking for ideas from my binder title "Being Careful" which references healthy recipes................
[Image: Jan3Filletwcornwpoblanochiles_zps6b930cd6.jpg]

OK, the crème fraiche, caviar, all the rich food is GONE!! But, what a fun week of cooking, tasting and enjoying!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 1/3/15?? by cjs (Maryann, crème fraic...)
I'm going to try the Sweet Soy Scallops with Hawaiian Linguine except I'm subbing pork tenderloin for the scallops. I'll probably marinate for longer considering the pork is denser than scallops.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.