Issue #109 Recipe Q
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I'm looking at a recipe for Sweet Soy Scallops in Issue #109 and it looks really good, the only problem is that Hubby can't remember whether he likes scallops or not (not kidding!). So I was wondering if I could sub pork tenderloin for the scallops. I keep looking at the recipe and I think it would work, even with the Hawaiian linguine.

What do you all think?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I'm ...)
I'll take his portion, thank you very much. I don't have the issue therefore, cannot make a judgment. Pork tenderloin is so very versatile and mates with almost everything. Any chance of posting the recipe? Sounds like something I would do....with either of the proteins.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by Roxanne 21 (I'll take his portio...)
Barbara, for sure that would work! And your idea may just show up in a future issue.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by Mare749 (Barbara, for sure th...)
I made the hawaiian linguine (though I used used angel hair) with teriyaki chicken and it was perfect. Also made sauteed napa cabbage with it.
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by Trixxee (I made the hawaiian ...)
Theresa, I thought that sounded familiar! I remember you making that, because I remember thinking pineapple in pasta seemed weird! LOL! I need to go look this one up.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, I thought t...)
Sounds like a good idea, but how could anyone not love scallops.....isn't that UNAmerican????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by cjs (Sounds like a good i...)
Oh trust me Jean, Hubby has some serious dislikes when it comes to certain foods and nothing I can do will change that. I did make pan-fried scallops for him once a long, long time ago, and cooked them perfectly, but I remember him saying not to do that dish again. I'm not taking the chance of making them again and him remembering he doesn't like them again. I know he likes pork tenderloin.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by BarbaraS (Oh trust me Jean, Hu...)
William doesn't care for them either. He will eat them if they are served to him, but given a choice, he will sub shrimp. I think it's a texture thing?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by BarbaraS (Oh trust me Jean, Hu...)
Here's the recipe Roxanne.

Sweet Soy Scallops
Scallops are often soaked in water to plump them, making them difficult
to brown. A marinade counteracts that by helping the scallops caramelize.

Calories: 155
Makes 2 servings
Total time: 25 minutes

3 Tbsp. minced scallions
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp. stone-ground mustard
1/4 tsp. black pepper
8 large sea scallops
2 tsp. canola oil

Combine scallions, maple syrup,
soy sauce, mustard, and pepper.
Add scallops; marinate 10 minutes.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium
high.
Remove scallops from
marinade; pat dry, reserving
marinade. Sear scallops in skillet
until browned on both sides,
5–6 minutes total.

Add marinade to skillet and
boil until mixture begins to
thicken slightly and forms a
sauce, 1–2 minutes. Scallops
should feel firm to the touch.

Serve scallops topped with sauce.

Per serving: 155 cal; 5g total fat
(0g sat, 3g mono, 2g poly); 20mg chol;
485mg sodium; 16g carb (0g fiber,
12g total sugars); 11g protein; 1mg iron;
36mg calcium
  Re: Re: Issue #109 Recipe Q by Gourmet_Mom (William doesn't care...)
Yep Daphne, it's a texture thing. Hubby doesn't like the texture of rice, peas, and lots of other things.

Barbara