what can I sub for jicama in this salad?
  Re: (...)
I want to make a particular kind of salad, but the cookbook that the recipe is in is currently in a cupboard which is behind the Christmas tree, so I'll have to wing it. What I remember it containing is baby spinach, sliced oranges, jicama, pomegranate vinagrette, and pomegranate "seeds". I am leaving out the spinach as this salad will be used as an app and I'm already planning spinach in a savory galette. In fact, I was thinking about an orange slice topped with shreds of jicama, a drizzle of vinaigrette, and a couple of pom seeds (since it will be used as an app).

Now here's my question. I'm not sure if I will be able to find jicama. Maybe if the store has Asian pears (since they're crispy)? Or is there something else that you all can suggest?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: what can I sub for jicama in this salad? by foodfiend (I want to make a par...)
Texture wise, radish? Honey crisp apple? I'm sure someone will come by and say no on those. LOL.
  Re: Re: what can I sub for jicama in this salad? by Trixxee (Texture wise, radish...)
Hmmm, I think I'd have a better chance of finding honeycrisp apples than Asian pears around here. Thanks for the suggestion!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: what can I sub for jicama in this salad? by foodfiend (Hmmm, I think I'd ha...)
Both sound like good subs to me. Or maybe even water chestnuts
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: what can I sub for jicama in this salad? by cjs (Both sound like good...)
Jean, thank you. There was something I was thinking was very close in both taste and texture, but I couldn't remember what it was after reading the other posts.

Water chestnuts, indeed, are great substitutes for jicama. Apples, pears and radishes each have characteristics that make them not as good substitutes as water chestnuts. Apples and pears have almost the right texture, but too much (especially too sweet) flavour. Radishes are even further off: their flavour is very different and their texture is only somewhat similar.

Absolutely water chestnuts all the way.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: what can I sub for jicama in this salad? by labradors (Jean, thank you. The...)
Thanks for the suggestion to sub water chestnuts for the jicama, it does seem to be the most logical. But since I can't access the original recipe (and am uncertain about the ingredients, anyway), and wanted to have something more "fruity", I decided to go with Asian pears and am going to make a sort of salad with them (sliced) and sliced oranges, plus pom "seeds" and a pomegranate vinaigrette that I made for on a spinach salad recently and it was really good.

Once the Christmas tree is down, I'll dig up that Mexican cookbook and make the salad, with water chestnuts.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: what can I sub for jicama in this salad? by foodfiend (Thanks for the sugge...)
To me anything with Asian pears is good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: what can I sub for jicama in this salad? by cjs (To me anything with ...)
Jean, I've never had an Asian pear before. I just hope that the one I bought is ripe.

Well, true to form, I forgot to pack an important item. Yes, I left my hairbrushes at the farm but most importantly I forgot oranges. So I'm thinking of grapefruit, Asian pear, pomegranate vinaigrette and pom "seeds" for a light appetizer-type salad. Geez. How could I forget oranges??? And I have a 5-pound bag of them in the refrigerator!

Luckily, I have a spare hairbrush here at the new house. I really hate bouncing between places, I keep forgetting/ misplacing things!
Vicci

my cooking adventures