? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins
  Re: (...)
Since the house is festively decorated and I'm in the mood, I invited family to lunch on Saturday (they all live 2 hours' drive away, so I want them out of here in time to get home before dark!)

I want to make a (depending on final numbers) a turkey and/ or pork tenderloin which could be used for sandwiches or eaten sliced. Never have done either of these so, because that stuffed pork loin turned out so well last week (thanks, Jean!), I'm asking for suggestions again.

I've not made either, so should these be brined before roasting?

And does anyone have a good marinade recipe? I looked at premarinated tenderloins the other day and they were so high in sodium that I want to to this myself. I have some rosemary left from the party (for the pork?) and lots of sage in the garden (for the turkey?).

Any suggestions will be welcome!

Alongside, I am serving rolls and sliced cheese and condiments(to make sandwiches),, plus a rice pilaf (for those who don't "do" gluten"), a vegetable, and a spinach salad.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by foodfiend (Since the house is f...)
No experience with turkey tenderloins (never even heard of them to be honest) but a pork tenderloin is generally so tender that a brine would not be needed. If cooked correctly it should just about melt in your mouth. Want to cook to medium at the most.

I would run away from pre-marinated anything.
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by Trixxee (No experience with t...)

I have to disagree slightly with Trixxee - I like to use a marinade/brine combination on tenderloins, especially when they will be used for sandwiches/sliders. Here's a basic marinade that is very tasty and will help tenderize the pork to boot.
Spicy Lemon-Rosemary Pork Tenderloin

6 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup rosemary leaves
2 Tbs crushed red pepper
6 garlic cloves, chopped
Four 1-pound pork tenderloins
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. In a large, resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, lemon juice, rosemary, red pepper, garlic and pork. Press out any air in the bag, seal and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.

2. Let the pork stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 400° and preheat a griddle or a very large skillet.

3. Remove the pork from the marinade. Scrape off most of the garlic and rosemary and season the tenderloins with salt and pepper. Set them on the griddle and cook over high heat until browned all over, about 6 minutes.

4. Transfer the tenderloins to a large rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 14 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130°. Cover the tenderloins loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. 8 servings

5. Pair this spicy pork with an aromatically intense, peppery Syrah.
Author: Jimmy Bradley, F&W
-------------------
Maple and Cider Turkey Breast

1 bone-in turkey breast -- (6 to 8 pound) fresh or thawed if frozen
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon grainy country-style mustard
to taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium apple -- cored and thinly sliced (unpeeled)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Pat breast dry with paper towels.
In small bowl, mix oil and mustard, rub over breast and under skin from neck end. Do not detach skin at base. Season with salt and pepper. Slide apple slices between skin and meat.

Place breast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a food thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 160 degrees F.

Meanwhile, combine syrup, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.

During last 20 minutes of roasting, baste breast with mixture. If skin is browning too quickly, tent with foil. (Note: if not doing an entire breast, I would start basting when the internal temperature reaches 100-110°F.)

Remove breast to serving platter and let rest 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
--------------------
Or, and I would probably go with this flavoring – so simple but when you smell it roasting you won’t leave the kitchen!!

Rub turkey with oil then rub all over with (in my cooking world, we call this “Good Sh*t” – a mixture of 2 parts Kosher salt to 1 part each: garlic powder and white pepper. If the turkey has skin, oil and rub under the skin and the outside. Then roast as usual. Simplicity at its best.

And, for condiments, here are a couple ideas that would go with both –

Maple-Pepper Butter:
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons coarse salt

For butter: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or electric blender, and process until blended, then scrape into a bowl.

-------------
Honey-Dijon Fresh Fruit Chutney

1 cup coarsely chopped fruit, such as mango, peaches, pineapple and kiwifruit
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
5 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
OR
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
OR
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
Crushed red pepper flakes -- to taste
Salt -- to taste

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl; stir until well blended. Chill until ready to serve. Serve with sliced grilled turkey or pork tenderloin. Also a great relish on sandwiches. Makes about 3 cups

Source: "The National Honey Board"

-------
Didn’t take long for you to get back in Party mode!!!!

Now, you have me wanting to make a turkey breast and make up some of the butter for sliders, too!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by cjs ([br]I have to disagr...)
Jean, you are absolutely amazing. These recipes sound perfect for what I want to do.

A question about the pork-- I know that browning the pork tenderloin would make it look nice and give a good flavor, but could I just roast it without browning? With a houseful of guests, I'd rather just pop the tenderloins in the oven. Or brown, roast, cool and wrap a couple of hours beforehand, then slice and rewarm? What do you think?

Heck, if I could do both the turkey and the pork earlier in the day, it would be great but I hate the flavor of rewarmed meat (like, when it's cooked the day before)... thoughts????
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by foodfiend (Jean, you are absolu...)
Would you be comfortable serving both of these cold. If they are put out on a buffet it will cool so quickly anyway, why not just start out that way??

For browning, see step 3 of the pork recipe - you do brown it before roasting.

You could have the whole smear done, sliced, plated ahead of time and you'll be drinking with your guests the whole evening!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by cjs (Would you be comfort...)
Actually, I was asking if you think that I could marinate the pork, but skip the browning step and just put it in the oven? If you think that it would be significantly better for me to brown the meat, then I will (I'm learning a lot about serving meat this holiday season, and mostly from you!!!)

I figure that about half of the guests will choose to make sandwiches, but the others will opt to eat the pork/ turkey without the bread so I'd prefer to serve the meat warm (I have my Mom's buffet warmer thingy from the 1960s that you set the serving dish on directly...)

ps- the drinking will happen AFTER they leave!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by foodfiend (Actually, I was aski...)
Vicci, I use pork tenderloins all the time and have also used turkey for a Cuisine dish but can't remember what it was at the moment.

We always marinate the pork first, usually overnight. Most of the time Ron puts it on the grill with indirect heat for approx. 25 minutes. In the winter, I put the meat in a basket that goes with my rotisserie oven. That also is cooked for approx. 25 min. I have never browned first, only because it's too intimidating for me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by Mare749 (Vicci, I use pork te...)
I agree, don't think browning is necessary. Sounds like you're good to go!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by cjs (I agree, don't think...)
Here's one that is fantastic without marinating at all.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

SPANISH CRUSTED ROAST PORK TENDERLOIN

Crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside, this pork tenderloin gets sultry flavor from smoked paprika, almonds, and Madeira. I doubled the garlic, wine and used fully rounded measures of the Penzey's Spanish paprika. I used my mini FP to grind the TJ's toasted almonds and then chopped the garlic together with the rosemary. The latter cooked together first then I added the rest of the coating. I used a small Pyrex baking dish to mix the liquids, rolled the tenderloin in it then poured the coating, pressed rolled and poured some more. I used regular oven per the recipe, but will use full convection next time to crisp the crust a bit more. Does not need a sauce, but would pair nicely with Romesco.

***** The Spanish Crusted Roast Pork Tenderloin was fantastic.It was nice and juicy and did not need a sauce. We had it with baked potatoes and used the crust that fell of the loins onto the dish on the baked potatoes and peas and corn. Yummy.

Oven Temperature: 425°F

Servings: 8
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 (main course)

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

4 TBS. olive oil, divided
6 garlic cloves, pulsed in mini fp or minced
¾ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
¾ cup sliced almonds, toasted, cooled, and coarsely ground in a food processor
4 tsp. rosemary, pulsed in mini fp with garlic or finely chopped
2½ tsp. fully rounded tsps. pimentón (smoked paprika), divided
4 TBS. Madeira
2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins

Preheat oven to 425°F regular or can use full convection to crisp crust with rack in middle.

Use a FP to grind the TJ's toasted almonds, and then chop the garlic together with the rosemary.

Heat 2 TBS. oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sauté garlic with rosemary until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Stir in panko, almonds, ½ tsp. pimentón, ¼ tsp. salt, and ⅛ tsp. pepper. Transfer to a large plate.

Stir together Madeira, remaining 2 TBS. oil and 2 tsp. pimentón, and ¼ tsp. each of salt and pepper in a small Pyrex baking dish to mix the liquids. Pat pork dry and then roll the tenderloin in the mixture...Pour the ⅓ of the coating over the pork, press, roll the pork and then pour another third, pressing gently to adhere, then sprinkle tops with remaining crumbs.

Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted diagonally 2 inches into meat registers 145 to 150°F, about 20 minutes. (Check after 10 minutes to see if crumbs are getting too dark; if they are, tent loosely with foil.) Transfer pork to a cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Recipe Type: Almonds, BEST, Epicurious, Fresh Rosemary, Gourmet, Main Dish, Meat, Pork

Source: Gourmet December 2008
Web Page: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...oin-350903
  Re: Re: ? about marinating pork and/ or turkey tenderloins by Cubangirl (Here's one that is f...)
[blockquote]Quote:

Here's one that is fantastic without marinating at all.
Source: Gourmet December 2008
Web Page: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...oin-350903 [/quote

That looks amazing! I'm going to give it a try over the winter break (which I am sooo ready for!!!)