A question
  Re: (...)
Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you cooking Gods and Goddesses!
I am making those lentil crisps that go with the curried pumpkin soup, which has become a great favorite of hubby's.
The recipe calls for semolina and I don't have any, I may have subbed whole wheat for it one time, I can't remember.
My question is, since the purpose of,the hard duram semolina must be to make the crisps crispier, how's about I try a bit of cornmeal?
Recipe calls,for 3/4C so I'd mix cornmeal with some whole wheat?
What say you? Love and thanks in advance ;-)
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: A question by farnfam (Greetings and Happy ...)
Well hello Stranger!! Happy turkey day to you, too!

have not made these, but looks like I should. I would think what you suggest doing with the cornmeal and a tad of whole wheat would work. fingers crossed.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A question by cjs (Well hello Stranger!...)
Thanks, Jean! I'm going with it. I sometimes add a bit of cornmeal to pizza dough and Italian bread dough, so I know cornmeal works for a crispness factor
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: A question by farnfam (Thanks, Jean! I'm g...)
If you're interested here is recipe
Lentil Crisps

Servings: 20 CRISPS
Categories: Soup & Stew
Source: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lentil-crisps

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup lentil flour
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup semolina
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup warm water
• Olive oil, for brushing

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425°. In a bowl, combine the lentil and all-purpose flours with the semolina, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Add the water and mix until a smooth dough forms.
Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface and knead for 2 minutes. Form the dough into a disk and quarter it.
Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. On a generously floured work surface, roll 1 piece of the dough into a 14-by-7 1/2-inch rectangle. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the dough into five14-inch-long strips. Transfer the strips to the baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and bake until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.

Notes

Make Ahead
The crisps can be stored overnight in an airtight container and recrisped briefly in a 400° oven.

from http://therecipeboxapp.com

Empress for Life
Curried Pumpkin Soup with Spicy Lentil Crisps

Servings: 20
Categories: Fancy, Soup & Stew, Spicy, Tangy, Vegetable
Source: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/curri...til-crisps

Ingredients

• 9 pounds sugar pumpkins or butternut squash, halved lengthwise
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 5 pears—peeled, cored and cut into 2-inch chunks
• 3 large Spanish onions, sliced
• 10 garlic cloves, chopped
• 3 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 4 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
• 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
• 1 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
• Lentil Crisps

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the halved pumpkins on 2 large rimmed baking sheets and add 1/2 cup of water to each sheet. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. When cool enough to handle, discard the seeds and peel the pumpkins.
Heat the oil in a large heavy casserole. Add the pears, onions, garlic, curry powder and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the cooked pumpkins, stock and wine and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir well, reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 45 minutes. remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth; transfer to a clean saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
To serve, reheat the soup, ladle into shallow bowls or cups and swirl in the crème fraîche. Garnish with the Lentil Crisps.

Notes

Make Ahead
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat and season with salt and pepper before serving.

from http://therecipeboxapp.com

Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: A question by farnfam (If you're interested...)
I would think the corn meal would have to cook longer than they will be in the crisp recipe. My polenta takes 30 minutes or more. I'd just omit it and maybe cook them a tad longer.

Neat recipe too I'm going to save this one to make!
  Re: Re: A question by DFen911 (I would think the co...)
fine grain cornmeal should be fine, Cis. Or, even corn flour
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A question by DFen911 (I would think the co...)
Maybe the finer cornmeal rather than polenta? Just wondering. They sound good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: A question by Harborwitch (Maybe the finer corn...)
I used a Tbs of fine cornmeal mixed with WWht. They taste great! I think I broke my tooth on a tiny bit on lentil that wasn't quite ground into flour. I sifted it first too
Or could be the tooth was on its way out and the crispy just finished it
It doesn't hurt, doesn't even feel weird anymore
Cis
Empress for Life