Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Last time I made Vodka Cream sauce, I bought heavy cream (which the recipe calls for) because I forgot I use half-n-half. So I put the pint in the freezer.

So for tomorrow, I want to make (spoiler alert!) Vanilla Cider Pork with Pears and the recipe calls for 1/3 C of heavy cream. Can I use the defrosted heavy cream?

Inquiring minds want to know.

We should really post a thread that discusses stuffs that can be frozen or not. That would be a neat thread!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Last...)
I freeze it often. It may not whip very well, bit works fine for sauces etc.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by Lorraine (I freeze it often. ...)
Thanks, Lorraine! Good to know! I have thrown out half and half many times needlessly! No more!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Lorraine! G...)
Freeze leftovers as you would chicken stock. Use an ice cube maker if you use mostly Tablespoons or a cupcake tin if you want half cups. Once frozen you can take them out and put them in an airtight ziplock or better yet foodsaver them and pull out what you need. You can do the same with organic yogurt to make your own yogurt.
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by Cubangirl (Freeze leftovers as ...)
It's very handy to be able to freeze cream and have it handy. I too, use very little of it, but when you need it, you need it!

Barbara, I think the list for what you can't freeze would be shorter than what you can.

It even surprised me a few years ago to find frozen avocados at a restaurant supply - now, I always (well not in the trailer) have them on hand.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by cjs (It's very handy to b...)
Well, Well - look what I just found while looking for my buttermilk bread recipe - from Laura, I have no idea when! (DUH, I guess I do: 5/1/13 )

Making "Dolly" Buttermok - making it from l/o buttermilk

Laura posted this 5/1/13
I have been making my own Buttermilk lately. It's been working out great! When there is about a cup of buttermilk left in the quart, I fill it up with whole milk, leave it on the counter overnight. Then stick it in the fridge in the morning and I have a whole new container of fresh buttermilk for pancakes, muffins, marinades, salad dressing, whatever. I wonder if I can freeze this stuff? I will have to find out.

----
yes, you can.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by cjs (Well, Well - look wh...)
Great! Thank you everyone!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by BarbaraS (Great! Thank you ev...)
Thanks, I make my own crème fraîche but never thought about buttermilk. Great idea.
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by Cubangirl (Thanks, I make my ow...)
Cool idea for the buttermilk! And I always have buttermilk leftover and wound up throwing it out. Not anymore!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Can You Freeze Unopened Heavy Cream Pints? by Gourmet_Mom (Cool idea for the bu...)
I know - I used to scurry around looking for ways to use it up, Daphne.

So, our buttermilk and heavy cream can be ready at all times for crème fraiche for us, Alina!
www.achefsjourney.com