2014 Thanksgiving Ideas
  Re: (...)
Guess it's time to start this thread for ideas - anyone got any yet??

I was looking thru notes from last thanksgiving when we were on the road and found some good ideas - don't know if they are posted anywhere on here, but I know I haven't made them yet.

Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches (but not slow cooked - use l/0 turkey
Turkey & Squash Tacos w/ Sriracha
Lemon Pesto Turkey Pasta

These sound good to me - will keep handy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 2014 Thanksgiving Ideas by cjs (Guess it's time to s...)
Peter will be visiting in Scottsdale and I will not be doing a turkey day, but will be fantasizing about club sandwiches or just plain turkey with Hellman's.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by Roxanne 21 (Peter will be visiti...)
I'm still waiting to hear if my brother and SIL are hosting. They were going to get their kitchen remodeled - don't know if they have put that off until after the holidays or not but if they started the reno it I don't think they'll be in a position to have it. It would be a big group - maybe 30 people with family and their friends. And they have a 6 week old. That is the biggest reason I hope they do have it - I have to see that little guy again and soon.
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by Trixxee (I'm still waiting to...)
Love the Caesar idea, as well as the Lemon Pesto! I need to start looking around for some more new ideas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by Gourmet_Mom (Love the Caesar idea...)
It has been just the two of us for a couple of years now, and Jack prefers the same menu each year: roast turkey, sage and onion cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, pan gravy, vanilla sweet potatoes,roasted brussel sprouts with hazelnuts, my Gram's cranberry salad, pumpkin pie. Fini.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by foodfiend (It has been just the...)
In our accommodations, just don't know how much of the traditional I want to have on hand. Still musing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by cjs (In our accommodation...)
We're going to friends for Thanksgiving. I might cook us up a small turkey breast, but won't be doing all the trimmings with it just being Derek and I. My 3rd Thanksgiving up here and still not use to cooking for just us rather than 16
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by DFen911 (We're going to frien...)
We will be doing Thanksgiving at home for any of the family who wants to come. It will be much the same as what we had last Sunday except there will be more side dishes.

So, there will be rotisseried turkey, crockpot stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries and homemade potato rolls. Instead of green bean casserole which we are all getting tired of, I will be doing roasted brussel sprouts as Vicci mentioned, but with chestnuts and also maybe some candied sweet potatoes. Dessert will be pumpkin pie, of course, except no one ever has room for it, so it always ends up going home with leftovers.

We have much to be thankful for and celebrate this year. My FIL is getting around pretty well with a walker and is getting his eye sight back, bit by bit. He is even talking about going hunting in Pa. this year.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by Mare749 (We will be doing Tha...)
Wow, going hunting!!! Good for him!

Whether I make anything else, I'll certainly have pumpkin pie!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2014 Thanksgiving and Leftovers by cjs (Wow, going hunting!!...)
Good news, Maryann!

I just realized I haven't posted our menu. I guess because there was a chance we'd go to the mountains. We're not. ;(

So the family would riot if I didn't go traditional. I can add things, just no leaving any of the usuals off: Roast Turkey, Mom's dressing, Giblet Gravey, rice, butter beans, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs, and Mom's Pecan Pie and my Praline Cheese Cake. (I'm craving the pie this year, but the kids will have a fit if I don't make the cheesecake. )
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.