Why do canned potatoes taste so good?
  Re: (...)
To me, canned vegetables tend to be pretty disagreeable. Canned corn is a notable exception. What surprises me, though, is how delicious canned potatoes are. We use Del Monte canned new potatoes. I know that new potatoes are tasty to begin with, but is it just me, or has anyone else, here, found the canned potatoes to be particularly scrumptious?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Why do canned potatoes taste so good? by labradors (To me, canned vegeta...)
No Labs, you're not wrong.

When my Mom had to start cooking at 3 pm in the afternoon for our family of 10, she used canned new potatoes. I know this because I NEVER peeled the new potatoes, only the big white ones for Thanksgiving.

She cooked them with butter and sprinkled dried parsley on them. Very simple and absolutely delicious!!

Barbara

Edit to add: I don't know if they were red potatoes or small white ones. They were just delicious! I has to be the salt bath in the can!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Why do canned potatoes taste so good? by BarbaraS (No Labs, you're not ...)
I would agree that the salt helps a lot. This was not a canned vegetable that my mom used so I wasn't familiar with it until Ron started buying it after we were married. Now, we stock up from time to time when we see them in one of the stores. He likes to use them for fried potatoes to have along side eggs on the weekends when we make breakfast.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Why do canned potatoes taste so good? by Mare749 (I would agree that t...)
Well, I'll be darned! I don't think I've ever used canned potatoes, but I'm sure going to give them a try now. How nice to have in the trailer pantry!! Thanks for mentioning Labs.

No reason you couldn't rinse them of most of the sodium as I do all canned beans, etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why do canned potatoes taste so good? by cjs (Well, I'll be darned...)
They're not especially salty - that just may be part of what makes them so good from the can. The other thing about them is they have an amazingly smooth texture and, yes Maryann, they are WONDERFUL fried or in hash browns with eggs.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I had never used them and don't think my Mom ever used them. Bob loves them for fried potatoes . . . I'm not tickled - they taste watery to me, but it could have been the brand. He likes them for breakfast. I'll give them another try - especially since I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to depend more on convenience than scratch.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Quote:

Well, I'll be darned! I don't think I've ever used canned potatoes, but I'm sure going to give them a try now. How nice to have in the trailer pantry!! Thanks for mentioning Labs.

No reason you couldn't rinse them of most of the sodium as I do all canned beans, etc.

Jean, I always rinse them then pat dry with paper towels for frying. I have also used them a few times in soups and stews.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Why do canned potatoes taste so good? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks, I'll have Roy look for them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why do canned potatoes taste so good? by cjs (Thanks, I'll have Ro...)
I've never used canned potatoes, and I know my mom never did either....I buy the shredded potatoes in the refrigerator section, divide the package, and use them for hash browns, 'cuz we like thin, extra-crispy hash browns. However, based on this discussion, I'm going to give canned potatoes a try. I'm really curious about them!
  Re: Re: Why do canned potatoes taste so good? by karyn (I've never used cann...)
Me too, Karyn.
www.achefsjourney.com