Tomatoes
  Re: (...)
The other day, I asked about freezing herbs. While researching this idea, I decided I'd look at alternative means of putting up tomatoes. One year I canned them and lost a few. I just didn't have the confidence to continue with this method. Plus it was labor intensive. So then I started freezing them by conventional methods. Well this year, I'm experimenting with something new. I rinsed, cored, and froze them whole. Then I vacuumed sealed them. They do take a little more space this way, but not as much as you'd think. The blocks I made the past few years did stack nicely, but still took up space. The true test will be if this method will produce an equally tasty product when thawed and use in various dishes. Since I knew there would be a lot more water produced when cooked, I packed in two pound packs. I'll let you know.

The first part of the experiment has already proven effective. That was the issue of the peeling. Supposedly, a frozen raw tomato, when rinsed with warm water, will peel just as easily as a raw one after blanching. And think about that a minute....would you rather hold a frozen tomato or a blanched one? EXACTLY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Tomatoes by Gourmet_Mom (The other day, I ask...)
Daphne, that is the exact method that my in-laws have used for several years now with good success. And the skin peels right off.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by Mare749 (Daphne, that is the ...)
I, too, have done them this way a couple of times, but not for a long time. I did do my tomatillos likes this also and worked great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by cjs (I, too, have done th...)
Thanks, Maryann and Jean. Good to know it's going to work. I've got about 20 pounds bagged now with about 5 or 6 freezing to be bagged later or Friday. I have an out of town appointment tomorrow.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by cjs (I, too, have done th...)
That's the way I used to do them also. As Maryann said, the skin peels right off. They more watery, but if going into a sauce or soup, they work great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by Lorraine (That's the way I use...)
If you don't have the time or talent for a large garden, the next best thing is a friend who does. This is the fourth bushel basket!

[Image: image-24.jpg][
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by Gourmet_Mom (If you don't have th...)
Of course, green with envy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by cjs (Of course, green wit...)
So cool they are sharing like that! Nothing better than fresh tomatoes if you ask me.

I would have had a bumper crop of green zebra tomatoes this year Darn deer left ONE.
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by DFen911 (So cool they are sha...)
Sorry Denise, didn't mean to rub it in. And yes, friends who share are great! John and his wife have canned until they are sick of it! And they have all they need until next year. Much to my delight!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tomatoes by Gourmet_Mom (Sorry Denise, didn't...)
Okay, if any of you guys knew about this, shame on you for not sharing! Today was the day to process my latest batch of tomatoes. I am out of room for freezing whole tomatoes, so this morning I looked online to explore what other options were out there. This has been awesome!!!

Roasted tomatoes! May be not what you're thinking. I will NEVER blanch tomatoes again!!! Wash, core and halve tomatoes. Place on sheet pans and roast for 30-40 minutes. Cool until they can be handled comfortably. Skin slides right off! Into the pot they went!

Stewing them now to reduce the liquid to save space in the freezer. I'll use my nifty little trick from last year using foil cake/casserole pans to make "bricks" of stewed tomatoes in perfect portion sizes. Then I can vacuum "bricks" of tomatoes for easy storage!
Daphne