2014 Food Trends
  Re: (...)
Spam Fries!!! (I wonder who will latch onto this one ;-) )

[Image: Spam-Fries-Recipe-Video.jpg.png]

Ramen-Crusted Chicken wings

[Image: ramen-chicken-wings.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: 2014 Food Trends by luvnit (Spam Fries!!! (I won...)
I'm ready for both!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2014 Food Trends by cjs (I'm ready for both!!...)
While I'm intrigued by both, the prospect of the fat and sodium in either is scary!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 2014 Food Trends by Gourmet_Mom (While I'm intrigued ...)
Daphne, I don't think there is any need for the flavor packet for coating the chicken, so the sodium would not be a problem. If it is called for, it's so easy to sub your own seasonings, that's what I do.

Don't see why the spam fries couldn't be oven-fried, so reduce the fat.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2014 Food Trends by cjs (Daphne, I don't thin...)
Something to consider, Jean. The Ramen Crusted Chicken could be a go. The sodium in the Spam is a concern, even if oven fried, though. That being said, I will have to confess, there is nothing I love better than pan fried slabs of Spam between two slices of fresh bread with mustard! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 2014 Food Trends by Gourmet_Mom (Something to conside...)
I like Spam sammies, too! Pan-fried nice and crispy. Although I have not tried it yet, I did see lower sodium Spam one day when I was in Wally World. Can't imagine how it would taste, though, since we have all grown up with the salty variety.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 2014 Food Trends by Mare749 (I like Spam sammies,...)
Funny, Maryann - that's the way I feel about pickled pigs feet. I grew up with the Nalley's gelatinous (sp?) garbage in a glass jar and now I don't like deli pickled feet at all. weird.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2014 Food Trends by cjs (Funny, Maryann - tha...)
My dad spent the first 12 years of his life in Hawaii, so he's a BIG fan of Spam. I missed that gene, apparently, 'cuz I'm not a fan.

However, the guys over at Serious Eats did a Spam tasting a while ago, and actually preferred the lower sodium to the original. Here is a link to the article. It's pretty interesting, even though I don't generally crave this particular processed food!