BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea
  Re: (...)
This was really spectacular. First off, the method for cooking the salmon is one that we saw on TV this morning. Wow, amazing what a little prep will do.

Mix 1 T. Kosher salt and 2 T. sugar together, then rub all over the salmon. Cover and refrigerate for an hour. This is like a brine. Using a paper towel, blot the excess liquid that comes out of the salmon before cooking.

When your grill is ready, (we used charcoal) you want to cook this indirect for approximately 30 min. Ron put a light smoke on it with applewood chips.

When it was done, I put a piece on top of baked Mac 'n Cheese as per Jean's suggestion, then drizzled a little bit of our own BBQ sauce concoction. Oh my!

[Image: IMG_0970_zpsa42aa917.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0971_zpsab66b71b.jpg]

This was way better than anything we would have had at the Harp.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by Mare749 (This was really spec...)
Looks and sounds awesome, Maryann! I'm saving this idea! I LOVE Pioneer Woman's Fancy Mac and Cheese! So that's how I envision having mine! I'm skeptical, but I KNOW I love both dishes and I trust you guys! You NEVER steer me wrong!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by Gourmet_Mom (Looks and sounds awe...)
While I'm not a salmon fan, I must say this actually makes me want to try a bite
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by DFen911 (While I'm not a salm...)
I'm so glad you tried this and like it Maryann! We all loved this combination when we tried it years ago. Here's the recipe we developed at the time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

THREE CHEESE MAC & CHEESE

1/4 cup +2 T. all purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 tbsp DIJON mustard
2 Tbsps butter
6 ozs White Cheddar Cheese -- grated
6 ozs gruyere cheese -- grated
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
Salt & Pepper
9 ozs Penne or short tubular pasta -- cook and drain
3 ozs Parmesan cheese -- grated
1/4 cup Panko or dried bread crumbs

Combine flour, 1 cup milk & Dijon, whisking until smooth.
Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour mixture to butter; cook, stirring constantly with a whisk 1 min.

Gradually add remaining 2 cups milk, whisking constantly.
Cook, stirring often 10-15 min. or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Add the cheddar, Gruyere, nutmeg and salt & pepper, to taste, to the sauce stirring until cheese melts. Stir in pasta.

Spoon mixture into a buttered baking dish, top with Parmesan/Panko mixture.
Bake 400° for 15-20
Let rest for 5-8 minute, cut in squares and serve.

For the presentation that encouraged me to develop this dish, top a square of Mac and Cheese with a fillet of salmon grilled with BBQ sauce. To top the plate off, drizzle with just a little red chili oil.

Description:
"When I tasted my friend, Chef Kelly Johnson's Three Cheese Mac & Cheese topped with Roasted Salmon with BBQ Sauce and drizzled with Saffron & Basil Oil, I knew I had to come home and recreate it."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, we have to run get some salmon and try your method - sounds great!

Your pictures are great, too, by the way.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by cjs (I'm so glad you trie...)
I'm getting hungry for Mac and cheese now!
Daphne
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by Gourmet_Mom (I'm getting hungry f...)
Thanks, Jean. We will be making this again and I'll follow the recipe that Kelly developed. Sounds awesome.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by Mare749 (Thanks, Jean. We wil...)
Jean, I have had Mac and cheese on the brain for days now. So when I got the call today about food needed for a funeral this week, I stopped her at mac and cheese. Two questions...is this your "go to" recipe? And would I be correct to assume I'd need to double this to fill a 9 X 13" pan?
Daphne
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I have had Mac...)
No, this is not the old family 'go to' - in fact I only make this one when I'm going to use the salmon and BBQ sauce with the above recipe that I developed after Kelly's.

Yes, I would double or at least a lb. of pasta.

Thanks to Maryann, I now have mac & cheese on the brain, too!!! And, I'm really trying to be careful...darn.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by cjs (No, this is not the ...)
I have had mac & cheese on the brain too. It's just been so darn hot that turning the oven on is not an option. I may have to try it in the BBQ
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: BBQ Salmon on Mac 'n Cheese using Jean's idea by Harborwitch (I have had mac & che...)
Heck. If we can do bread on the grill, why not Mac & cheese?
www.achefsjourney.com