Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today??

I have ribs from the freezer to finish off and I'm baking some beans.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Family dinner here. Ron is grilling/roasting/smoking a whole pork loin. We will also have scalloped potatoes, baked beans and apple sauce.

I bought strawberries yesterday to slice and sugar. If anyone has room left (the kiddies) after dinner, I'm going to make crepes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by Mare749 (Family dinner here. ...)
Everyone to Maryann's!

Chinese again tonight, House special chow mein.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by losblanos1 (Everyone to Maryann'...)
YUM! Maryann, that sounds so good!

We'e off to my favorite new restaurant for lunch, then back home for a pizza party this afternoon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (YUM! Maryann, that ...)
Tony is making a Bolognese sauce to serve over rigatoni. And I bought something I never buy - an artichoke. I guess you steam them?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by Trixxee (Tony is making a Bol...)
Trixxee, I'll jump in first here re artichokes and I'm sure we all have different methods. What works best for me is -

have a bowl of cold water next to you with a little lemon/lime juice added. (the citrus keep the chokes from browning while you work on them.

remove the first couple rows of leaves off the bottom.

cut the top 3/4- to 1-inch off the top; turn around and cut the stem off flush with the bottom of the choke. Place the choke top side down on a cutting board and cut in half and throw both into the citrus water.

Cut the other end of stem off (so both ends are 'clean'); stand the stem up and carefully cut down the stem to remove the outer (tough) part of the stem. throw in the citrus water.

Now, you need to clean each half. With a very sharp paring knife cut around the fuzzy choke removing all the fuzz. the fuzz is just above the stem and is kind of triangular.

Drop all pieces in boiling water, don't cover, allow to boil for, depending on size, 18 to 25 minutes turning over every so often. When a knife pierces easily, the chokes are done.

You can clean the 'fuzzy choke' out after cooking when it's softer and removes a little easier, but then you're working with a hot artichoke and it's messy as hell. That's it!!

Very wordy, but kind of hard to explain. I'm assuming you know how to eat them tho, right? if not, that will be chpt. 2
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by cjs (Trixxee, I'll jump i...)
Looks like we are having Meatballs and Gravy w/mashed potatoes and a side of noodles for the pasta lovers

Really in the mood for this on a stormy, rainy day.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by luvnit (Looks like we are ha...)
Pizza party cancelled until next weekend. Too much food leftover! OMG! So good!

[Image: image-14.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Pizza party cancelle...)
I really don't know whose house to run to!!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 4/27/14?? by cjs (I really don't know ...)
Thanks for all that, Jean!

And here's my public service announcement for the day: KY DERBY NEXT SATURDAY! Be there or be square (via TV of course).