VOT-William's Treatment
  Re: (...)
Since I mentioned it in the dinner thread, I figured I'd head off any anxiety this may cause?

Some or most of you know about William's brain tumor extraction back in 2002? And possibly his radiation treatment that followed. However, I'm not sure if I mentioned his plastic surgery in 2005. A side affect of radiation treatment a lot of people don't know about is tissue damage where sores can occur at the site of the radiation treatment. For William, this is the top of his forehead. In 2005, we sought treatment at a local plastic surgeon that didn't work and made it worse. This led to treatment back at Duke Hospital, which solved the problem. But the surgeon warned that it may not last.

Flash forward to last fall. Sure enough, it started to open up again. A few weeks ago, we went for a consultation with the doctor at Duke. He has recommended a treatment that should likely solve the problem for good. Hyperbaric Therapy He will get two 2 hour treatments a day for five days. Then he will be home to catch up on work. Then he'll go back for another week of treatments. This will go on until healing begins. It could take from 20 to 60 treatments. That's a lot of time away from home, but the knowledge that this will likely be a permanent fix will make it worth it. The biggest "expense", as they called it, is time and boredom. He was really put out when he realized he wouldn't be able to take his phone in with him for entertainment. DUH!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: VOT-William's Treatment by Gourmet_Mom (Since I mentioned it...)
Oh, crap, Daphne! I wondered what might be going on. I guess I'd better read the link you provided before I bombard you with questions. I know you will let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help.

I guess no phone means we can't even send him dirty jokes for entertainment? please give each other a big hug from us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: VOT-William's Treatment by cjs (Oh, crap, Daphne! I ...)
Definitely, Jean! Check out the link, but to capsulize the info, they are now using the same treatment originally used to treat divers for the "Bends" to treat open sores caused from radiation treatment years after the treatment (this facility' #1 treatment group), diabetics patients seeking treatment to fight loosing a limb due to sores that develop gangrene, and divers from the general public and the military through a government contract. The facility has been operational since the 60's. The pure oxygen environment boosts blood flow and promotes the creation of blood vessels in damaged areas of skin to promote healing to areas damaged due to radiation treatment and diabetic deterioration. It's really quite fascinating and miraculous! It's amazing this type of treatment is not more widely known! The descriptions of treatments of large sores treated due to major damage after radiation treatment after a masectomy were staggering! We are really excited and hope for a short treatment time.
Daphne
  Re: Re: VOT-William's Treatment by Gourmet_Mom (Definitely, Jean! C...)
When my husband had hyperbaric treatments last summer to try to recover the sight in his right eye, they had movies he could watch and hear while he was down. Each person reacts differently to the dives, but Steve had no problems. He went down and up pretty fast, no lasting effects. He had them both in a multiple person chamber and an individual chamber. He preferred the individual.
  Re: Re: VOT-William's Treatment by Cubangirl (When my husband had ...)
I bet personal would be ideal! Any advice on occupying yourself?
Daphne
  Re: Re: VOT-William's Treatment by Gourmet_Mom (I bet personal would...)
darn girl, what a fuc**n [censored]! Give William my best! Jane passed on radiation, chemo was enough. You do what you have to do. Stay positive my friend and you will be back in that Mini Cooper and on your way to Charleston before you know it. See you there for some Capers Blades!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: VOT-William's Treatment by Old Bay (Damn girl, what a fu...)
Daphne, so sorry you and William have to go thru this Please tell William we will be keeping in our thoughts. I sure hope all goes smoothly!
  Re: VOT-William's Treatment by Gourmet_Mom (Since I mentioned it...)
Oh Daphne, I hope everything works out for you and William.

I guess if he can't take his phone with him a Kindle is out of the question? Or how about old fashioned books?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: VOT-William's Treatment by BarbaraS (Oh Daphne, I hope ev...)
I guess the first question that came to my mind is - is the facility close enough to your home that overnight stays are not needed? And, can he drive after treatments or will you need to take off work?

Is there down time after the treatments? Don't worry about answering all this, I'm sure you'll keep us in the loop as to how he is doing and also how you are doing. Hang in there.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: VOT-William's Treatment by cjs (I guess the first qu...)
Daphne, I'm so sorry that William has to go through these treatments, but so happy that you can look forward to this being the best solution. Since Duke is a good 2-3 hour drive from your home, it sounds like he will have to stay there all week? Do they have housing available for patients?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."