Once again . . . help please??
  Re: (...)
Saturday I am hosting the local Shriners chapter elections in the banquet room about 75 prime rib and lobster tail dinners, and a 2 hour social (see linda jumping up and down with excitement). Add to that a couple that walked in a month ago looking for a place to have a small wedding reception. My dining room will seat 85 or so but they said it would only be 60-80 and so we booked that - yup, at the same time.

Now the wedding has blown up to 122 and so will spill over into the lounge, not a big deal according to them, but this wedding is low key and everyone is paying for their own meal - what a nightmare for my servers. I have visions of being stuck with all this extra food that for whatever reason, guests change their mind and don't show, but that isn't the crux of my question.

The lobster tails are coming in frozen - basically, now what? I am assuming you bake them, do I have to prep them, as in pull them out of the shell before or after. So, oh experienced ones, please give me some guidance, this is obviously really important to me to make a good impression!
  Re: Once again . . . help please?? by iBcookin (Saturday I am hostin...)
Linda, fortunately (or unfortunately), I never had to serve lobster for the large ‘dos’ at the hotel, so I should probably not jump in here, but you have me curious also as to how to do it.

This is just my experience with small amount of tails that I do when I smoke them. Maybe, the method could translate to what you need???

Using kitchen scissors I cut along the top of the shell down to the tail thru the ribs. Crack the ribs so that you can spread the shell open enough to pull the meat out down to the tail – but don’t disconnect all the way. (Sometimes using a spoon helps loosen the meat from the shell) (O.K., you already know all this.... )

I then smoked them to a temp of 110°F. I then grilled them a couple hours later meat-side down to 140°F. This method works very well and keeps the lobster moist and not over cooked. YOu could use whatever method of finishing them off that you would normally do.

As far as your problem with the count, that’s perplexing. After the lobsters reach a temp. of 110° you can chill them for a while, but if you don’t need the amount you’ve prepped, I wouldn’t try to serve them as ‘tails’ I don’t think. Maybe re-freeze and use the meat for a wonderful lobster Thermidor, Newburg, bisque…….

Hopefully someone – Lorraine? – will have a comprehensive answer for you. Good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Once again . . . help please?? by cjs (Linda, fortunately (...)
The lobster tail one isn't the banquet that is paying separately, thank the good lord! The wedding guests are all paying individually, so I guess I would rather be stuck with cooked chicken and swiss steak, than lobsters that somebody would be FORCED to eat.

I was thinking a quick dunk in boiling water and then finish in the oven. Might have to sacrifice one to try. Chels is going to be in on this so I'm kind of thinking this is going to be on her shoulders to figure it out.

I thought sure you would have done something like this. Maybe PJ or Lorraine will jump in here with recommendations.
  Re: Re: Once again . . . help please?? by iBcookin (The lobster tail one...)
I hope they do too, Linda - and I'll bet Chels will come up with something if her mama doesn't first!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Once again . . . help please?? by iBcookin (Saturday I am hostin...)
Linda,

I'm no chef by these posters' standards, but when I make lobster tail for the Hubby, I always thaw the tail thoroughly first for the boil. If you're boiling them, split the shell across the top and loosen the meat a bit like Jean says. I use a skewer to keep them from "curling up" while they cook. When the water gets to boiling, drop the tails in and after the water comes back to a boil, leave in for 1 minute per ounce of the tail.

I've also split the tail lengthwise in two, loosened the meat a bit in the shell, and roasted them in the oven at 450 degrees for 7-10 minutes, based on a 6-8 ounce tail. I also cheat and use Wegmans basting oil and brush it on before I roast them and then use their Shallot-Thyme finishing butter and dollop a bit after they come out of the oven.

That's a lot of dinners in one day and I hope you keep your sanity after it all ends.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Once again . . . help please?? by BarbaraS (Linda,[br][br]I'm no...)
Good point, Barbara - I forgot to mention the skewers, but Linda proably knows to use them also.

time for a lobster dinner, I'm thinking.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Once again . . . help please?? by cjs (Good point, Barbara ...)
Now I'm wanting lobster which is pretty high on William's no no list!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Once again . . . help please?? by iBcookin (The lobster tail one...)
Do you have a steamer of some sort? I'd experiment with them, steam a frozen and a thawed tail, I'm guessing you'll like the frozen steamed one best. Definately shell (if you need to shell at all, not knowing your final product) after cooking.

If you don't have a steamer, perhaps you could improvise. I'm afraid the oven could quickly dry them out.

Does your recipe lend itself to a saute? That could work with the thawed tails, although if you're serving whole tails they would need to be skewered, more work, never mind. Sorry, I haven't yet read all the way through this thread so I apologize if I'm repeating someone's info! Just got home from work myself..

Good luck!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Once again . . . help please?? by pjcooks (Do you have a steame...)
Lobster is one of those things that work great in sous vide. Probably too late for this event, but you might want to consider it for the future.
  Re: Re: Once again . . . help please?? by Cubangirl (Lobster is one of th...)
If you have a grill I'd grill them as you can place many on the grill at once and in about 12 minutes they're done.

Cut them down the top and when they are done grilling, pop the meat out to lay on top of the shell and serve. I've done this recipe a few times and love it.