Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Pizza here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Pizza here also. Antipasto for me and a copycat version of Laura's pepperoni with the works for Carylann.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by losblanos1 (Pizza here also. Ant...)
Grilled rib eyes, corn on the cob and leftover rice a roni.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by Trixxee (Grilled rib eyes, co...)
Chilly and blustery today, so William is braising a pot roast. I'll do mashed potatoes and peas later to go with it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Chilly and blustery ...)
I'm back from D.C. and have finally returned to the land of the living....I came home with a sinus infection. I guess the rain, snow, and cold temperatures were't that good for me!

Tonight we're having an old family favorite, Creamy Chicken Enchiladas. They are absolutely delicious, but a definite indulgence with both Monterrey and cream cheeses, Hatch chilies, and lots of softened, but not caramelized, onions, I'm serving them with a green bean salad so that I can pretend to be healthy.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by karyn (I'm back from D.C. a...)
Sounds like the perfect comfort food and something you surely need!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like the perf...)
Maple syrup glazed spareribs here, no BBQ sauce unless it's requested. Whipped potatoes, browned butter and rosemary carrots and butter rolls to round out the meal. Some Gnarley Head Zin or 7 Deadly Zins to drink, and if he wants dessert, either mocha chip or Guinness chocolate ice cream.
PJ
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by pjcooks (Maple syrup glazed s...)
With ribs, PJ, how can it not be 7 Deadly? and, imagine my surprise - we are now working on a bottle og Gnarly Head
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by cjs (With ribs, PJ, how c...)
My pot roast was the best I've ever had. Even William was amazed! I love my new Dutch oven!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 3/30/14?? by cjs (With ribs, PJ, how c...)
The supermarket had some nice packages of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, so I got a package, saved six of the thighs in the freezer and used the remaining eight thighs as follows:
  • Mixed together eight ounces of cream cheese, the thinly sliced white parts of five scallions, a tablespoon of Sriracha (not as much as it sounds, given everything else) and a little salt, then divided the mixture into eight quenelle shapes.
  • Wrapped each portion of the cream-cheese mixture with a thigh.
  • Wrapped each thigh with two slices of bacon and placed them into a baking dish.
  • Poured garlic sauce (see below) over each thigh, allowing the sauce to collect in the baking dish.
  • Baked, foil covered, at 350F for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes, then rested for 10 minutes.
  • Garnished with thinly sliced green parts of the scallions.
Delicious!

Didn't quite plan it perfectly, though, since (although this first thing was a little expected) most of the cream cheese melted out into the sauce and the bacon on the underside of the thighs, although fully cooked (as far as temperature and time were concerned) was still kind of like raw fat.

Even so, this was still so good that I know I'll make it again, but with the bacon-wrapped thighs pan fried before adding the sauce and baking them. As for the melting cream cheese, maybe it would work if I refrigerates (or even froze) the cream-cheese mixture ahead of time, but then I'd have to sauté the scallions, first, so they wouldn't taste too raw. If any of you have any suggestions for either of the problems, please let me know.

The "garlic sauce" is a bottled product that is common here and is made by at least four different brands. It contains water, garlic, vinegar and sugar (and a second version of it also includes parsley). Didn't think to take any photos and the sauce bottle is already in the trash, but here's a photo I found on the Net for a different brand.

[Image: C1vbskb.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?