Char Sui?
  Re: (...)
OK, I think Blane and Laura's egg foo yung has pushed me into an Asian mood.

Has anyone ever made Char Sui pork? Got a tried and true recipe?
  Re: Char Sui? by Trixxee (OK, I think Blane an...)
I've made the Cook's Illustrated recipe before. I used is as an ingredient in stir-fries and steamed buns. I remember it being really good, but it's been a few years. Here's a link to the recipe.
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by karyn (I've made the Cook's...)
Karyn, how do you change a link to a word? Like you did in your reply, the word "Here's" becomes the hyperlink.

Trixxee, I've made this version in both the oven and grilling, the grilled version was really good, the oven version was just ok.

http://blogchef.net/char-siu-recipe/
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by losblanos1 (Karyn, how do you ch...)
Thanks guys - both sound/look awfully good! And while I was sitting in the parking lot a C @ H photo came into my mind - I think they were called asian sticky ribs or something? It's got to be in one of the grilling books. Maybe it is similar to char sui and I can kill two birds with one stone - char sui AND ribs.
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by Trixxee (Thanks guys - both s...)
I have also always wondered how you shorten the link!
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by losblanos1 (Karyn, how do you ch...)
Quote:

Karyn, how do you change a link to a word? Like you did in your reply, the word "Here's" becomes the hyperlink.

If you use the short-cut link that says "URL," it will prompt you for two things. The first is where you would put the actual link and the second is where you would put the word or phrase you wish to appear (what they call the "title" in the prompt).

If you are just typing and not using those links, then you would use the following form:
Code:
Code:
[url=LINK]WORD[/url]

Where "LINK" is the actual link and "WORD" is the "title." If you do it that way, pay close attention to the placement of the square brackets.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

If you use the short-cut link that says "URL," it will prompt you for two things. The first is where you would put the actual link and the second is where you would put the word or phrase you wish to appear (what they call the "title" in the prompt).

If you are just typing and not using those links, then you would use the following form:
Code:
Code:
[url=LINK]WORD[/url]

Where "LINK" is the actual link and "WORD" is the "title." If you do it that way, pay close attention to the placement of the square brackets.

[/blockquote]

Thanks, Labs! I was going to explain after dinner, but you beat me to it. I just wish my photos looked as good as some those that are posted on the forum!
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by karyn (I've made the Cook's...)
Now I am so conflicted. I was going to smoke my pork butt, now I want to do this. Maybe I can do half in the smoker and half for Char Sui. Hmmmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by Harborwitch (Now I am so conflict...)
My iPad recipe program does not save the source of recipes, but I THINK this came from Jean on or after her trip to Hawaii? I want to think she made this on her visit and intended to grill it, but she couldn't because her hostess didn't have a grill that would accommodate the meat? And I THINK we tried it? And I believe we tried it with Boston Butt?

Anyway, here's one I saved. Hopefully, Jean will confirm or deny this one tomorrow. I have GOT to do better about making notes on recipes. I'll do a search, because I think I posted about trying it?

Char Siu-glazed Pork and Pineapple Buns
Servings:?

*Find aromatic Hawaiian vanilla extract at gourmet grocery stores and hawaiianvanilla.com; non-Hawaiian vanilla extract works too. Make ahead: Brine pork and make char siu glaze up to 1 day ahead.

Ingredients
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Hawaiian vanilla extract*
2 pork tenderloins (about 1 lb. each)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
12 slices peeled and cored fresh pineapple
24 King's Hawaiian sweet rolls or other small soft rolls warmed on the grill if you like
1 cup cilantro sprigs

Preparation:

Make brine: In a large pot, bring 3 1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in salt, brown sugar, and vanilla. Chill until cool.

Put pork in a 9- by 13-in. pan and pour on brine. Chill at least 3 hours and up to 12.

Make char sui glaze: In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, hoisin, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Pour half the sauce into another small bowl.

Prepare grill for indirect medium heat (350° to 450°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds). Lay pork over indirect-heat area and cook, covered, until meat reaches 135° on a meat thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes.

Using a pastry brush and one bowl of glaze, cover pork with glaze, saving 2 tbsp. for the pineapple. Cook pork (if using charcoal, add 6 to 8 briquets to maintain temperature), turning occasionally, until glaze has caramelized slightly and meat thermometer reaches 145°, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer pork to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 15 minutes.

Lay pineapple slices on direct-heat area of grill, brush with 2 tbsp. reserved glaze, and cook, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 4 minutes per side. Remove slices from grill and cut in half.

Cut pork into 1/2-in. slices. Cut a deep diagonal slit across the top of each roll. Fill each roll with a piece of pork, half a grilled pineapple slice, a cilantro sprig, and 1/2 tsp. glaze from second bowl. Serve rolls with remaining glaze for drizzling.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Char Sui? by Gourmet_Mom (My iPad recipe progr...)
You're killing me here! Hmmm. Need to go buy a pig.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!