A Couple Gripes Re C@H
  Re: (...)
Sat down this morning and looked thru the last 2 issues and a couple/four things jumped out at me -

in the tips & Timesavers
Wrap More, Waste Less - suggest a need for narrower plastic wrap and suggest cutting a roll in half to solve this problem. Has anyone successfully cut a roll in half without bonding the cut edge together so much it's impossible to un roll???

Stick-Free Rice Pan - spray the pan with cooking spray before making rice. Piddle I've done this all my life and this gal got money for the idea.

Margarita-brined chicken wings - given it sounds like a delicious recipe, but good Lord 516 cal. for 3 3/4 pieces wings???? I will try the marinade, cook up and just serve with Franks hot sauce.

Issue #104
Oven-roasted salmon - the example showing how to temp a piece of fish is ridiculous! You certainly can't get a true reading sticking the probe in vertically (straight down into the fish) - you need to stick it in parallel to the thin cut of meat/fish.

(they included a Reuben pizza............. )

Anyway that's my soapbox for the month.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by cjs (Sat down this mornin...)
C@H can be wrong about calorie counts. I have recalculated a few recipes and sometimes their math is very wrong. Not just sorta wrong, but really badly off.

I noticed the Reuben pizza right away too. (Imitation is the highest form of flattery )
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by luvnit ([url=mailto:C@H]C@H[...)
They sure can be wrong about calorie counts. One big one sticks out in my mind to this day - the coconut crusted chicken. There is no way that one boneless chicken breast dipped in panko and unsweetened coconut and then sauteed can have over 1,000 calories. It's not possible.

But - I didn't know about spraying the rice pan with cooking spray! Good to know.
  Re: Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by Trixxee (They sure can be wro...)
I wonder if 1000 calories was for the whole recipe? That happens to me sometimes when I forget to enter the number of servings for a recipe in Living Cookbook.

Using spray oil before making rice? Have to admit to never hearing that one before. I make my rice in the microwave all the time now. It's so easy.

Laura, you are so right! Imitation really is the highest form of flattery.

I rarely need to temp fish, but do know not to do it from the top! Or chicken breast...or anything flat for that matter. Definately bad advice to offer someone who is just starting to use a temperature probe. My daughters did not know that until recently.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by Mare749 (I wonder if 1000 cal...)
Most of the time I think that is their error. They use the calories for the entire recipe instead of per portion. It's very confusing. I don't know who's in charge of that at the magazine, but maybe somebody should mention something.
Laura
  Re: Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by luvnit (Most of the time I t...)
No one is talking to me lately................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by cjs (No one is talking to...)
Nope, it says 1072 calories per serving for the chicken. And it's not taking into account the calories for the suggested side dish because the nutritional information is listed separately.
  Re: Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by cjs (No one is talking to...)
Quote:

No one is talking to me lately................

I think we are all talking to you Jean dear.
Laura
  Re: Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
not here - at 'headquarters'
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Couple Gripes Re C@H by cjs (Sat down this mornin...)
Quote:

Margarita-brined chicken wings

Or how about Jamie Oliver's Bloody Mary Beef?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?