Happy Valentine's Day!
  Re: (...)
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone who celebrates our special day of love...and to those who don't.

No dinner thread today - we can post to the 'special' thread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by cjs (Happy Valentine's Da...)
Yes, happy valentine's day everyone! Let's all have a wonderful day full of love, laughter, and maybe some sweets!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by Mare749 (Yes, happy valentine...)
I'm a rebel - bbq'ing some baby back ribs
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by DFen911 (I'm a rebel - bbq'in...)
Well, the day's getting away from me, too, so I guess I'm a rebel,also!

Too much prep with the tamale dinner for tomorrow, so we're having grilled burger sliders. Potato chips and champagne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by cjs (Well, the day's gett...)
London Broil, boiled potatoes, and green beans.

Speaking of which, the meat is precooked to a perfect medium rare, so how long in hot water should I simmer it?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by Gourmet_Mom (London Broil, boiled...)
"...so how long in hot water should I simmer it?"

Daphne, you've lost me - I can't think of anytime I would simmer a Longon Broil in water?????

Man, I love these little sliders!! What a fun, easy champagne dinner we had.

<a href="[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/cjdacook/media/COOKING%20PICTURES%202014/Feb14ValentinesDaySliders1_zpsd9693bc6.jpg.html" >[Image: Feb14ValentinesDaySliders1_zpsd9693bc6.jpg]</a>]Valentine's Day Sliders[/url]

Hope we have room for the Mad Dash Choc. cake later..................

Hawaiian dinner rolls don't hold up as well as the Brioche buns do for a burger.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by cjs ("...so how long in h...)
Quote:

"...so how long in hot water should I simmer it?"

Daphne, you've lost me - I can't think of anytime I would simmer a Longon Broil in water?????

Since London Broil is a technique (broiling or grilling marinated flank steak) and not a cut of meat, it would not be boiled or simmered, just by definition alone.

Some stores sell flank steak or even, sometimes, top round as "London Broil," thus leading people to believe that "London Broil" is some kind of official cut, even though it isn't.

Thus, what you have is probably flank steak and, if you are not going to broil or grill it (i.e. not using it for London Broil), you could braise or pot-roast it for at least 1 1/2 hours - usually longer, as you would for any braise or pot roast.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Those look so good Jean.

Tonight's romantic dinner is an Italian steak sandwich with steak fries.

The new issue (#104) is online now, I'm off to check it out.
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by losblanos1 (Those look so good J...)
gotta disagree with you, Labs -

ehow.com agrees with me.

Introduction

In the U.S., London broil is not a single cut; it is a section of a tough roast, or the castoff from the good part of the roast, or a thick top round steak. In Canada, London broil refers to ground meat or sausage wrapped with a flank steak. Sometimes a ground veal mixture will be packed on the outside of the London broil before cooking. Ironically, a London broil is unheard of in London.

Methods
• Flank steak that was broiled quickly was once believed to be a London broil, but that is not the case according to today's cooks. Today, the preferred method for London broils are marinating and then either broiled, grilled, baked or fried.
Cooking
• It's better to choose a thinner cut of London broil because of the tough nature of the meat. The thicker the cut, the longer it takes to cook, increasing the toughness. One of the best ways to help the steak become more tender is to cook quickly only to medium rare. Then allow the London broil to rest for at least 10 minutes for the meat to soak the juice back into it. Also, cutting across the grain of the meat is essential for tenderness.

-----
So, I have to repeat - What dish are you making, Daphne??
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Happy Valentine's Day! by cjs (gotta disagree with ...)
The London Broil is already cooked and vacuum sealed. I'm talking sous vide. (I'm an English teacher...give me a break! Not to mention under duress! LOL!)

Sorry for the confusion!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.