Cabbage rolls
  Re: (...)
I've been meaning to make these for awhile now
I read a recipe where it said to freeze whole head of cabbage? Before usage
Ever do this anyone? I have just boiled cabbage to make soft

Looking for a good recipe. I haven't made them enough to remember how.
Thanks for any info
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Cabbage rolls by mjkcooking (I've been meaning to...)
I've often read about freezing the cabbage to make rolling easier, but I just dip the leaves in simmering water.

I do have 2 or 3 different ones I use - will go look for. I think one is from C@H....

This is from Corned Beef Dinner, (Cuisine, April 1999, Issue 14, p. 27). The cabbage rolls were part of the side dishes, so no meat in them.

CABBAGE ROLLS
(MAKES 12 ROLLS, 2 PER SERVING)
WORK TIME: 45 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES

TRIM, BLANCH, AND DRY:
16–18 large green cabbage leaves

FOR FILLING, SAUTE IN 2 T. OLIVE OIL:
3 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup red onion, slivered
1 cup celery, julienned

ADD:
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
2 T. sugar
1 T. Creole or Dijon mustard
1 t. caraway seeds
1 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper

FOR MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE, COMBINE:
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
2 T. water
1 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. yellow mustard seeds
1 T. sugar

SLOWLY WHISK IN:
1/4 cup light olive oil
SEASON WITH:
Salt and pepper to taste

To peel cabbage leaves from head, first cut a leaf at the stem, close to the core. Detach leaf by carefully pulling from stem, peeling leaf away.

Peel off 16–18 large leaves (use two heads of cabbage). Cut leaves in half down both sides of rib—you’ll have extra if some rip. Discard rib.

Reduce heat to medium and stir in vinegar, sugar, mustard, and seasonings. Cover and cook 10–15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.

To form rolls, overlap two cabbage leaf halves with the thicker end toward you. Place 2 T. filling at base and fold bottom over filling.

Keeping the base fold in place with one hand, use the other hand to fold one side toward the center. Then fold the other side in. Now, roll up.

Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling, salted water, about 1 min. Then plunge in ice water to stop cooking. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Shred cabbage for filling and mix with vegetables. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Saute vegetables 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Finish rolling tightly to the end. Place on plate with seam side down, cover with plastic, and set aside until ready to steam.

For Vinaigrette, combine mustard, water, vinegar, mustard seeds, and sugar. Slowly whisk in oil, and season with salt and pepper.

To steam, boil 1" water in large saucepan lined with steamer basket. Add rolls, cover, and steam until heated through, 6–8 minutes

--------------
This one I’ve made since the 60s or 70s – haven’t made for a long time, but the rolls themselves are very good, I’d probably update the sauce now, tho.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CABBAGE ROLLS

Recipe By: (CJ/Ambassador) Jean Denham, CC (from Share a Recipe cookbook)
Serving Size : 6

1 egg
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 c finely chopped onion
2/3 c milk
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
3/4 c cooked rice
6 lg cabbage leaves
Sauce:
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice

In a bowl combine egg, 1 tsp. salt, dash pepper, Worcestershire, onion, & milk; mix well.
Add beef, pork, & rice; beat together with fork.
Immerse cabbage leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes or just till limp; drain.
Heavy center vein of leaf may be slit about 2 1/2 ".
Place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides & roll ends over meat.
Place rolls in 12X7-1/2X2-inch baking dish.

Blend together soup, brown sugar, and lemon juice; pour over cabbage rolls.
Bake in 350° oven for 1 1/4 hours.
Baste once or twice with sauce.

----------

MIght give you some ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cabbage rolls by mjkcooking (I've been meaning to...)
That sounds interesting, Marye, but not something that I've ever tried. Sure would make it easy if it works.

I usually just take the whole head of cabbage and cut out the core, then put it in a pot with some water and cook until it's soft.

Now I want stuffed cabbage!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cabbage rolls by Mare749 (That sounds interest...)
I have done it both ways - freezing is easier and doesn't dirty a pot. I can remember putting a head of cabbage in the freezer to make stuffed cabbage, okay . . . I can't remember putting it in the freezer, but I found it in there and kinda wondered why, but put it back in the freezer and went on with life. A few weeks later the craving for stuffed cabbage came over me . . . and I remembered I had a head of cabbage in the freezer. Now I don't have freezer space.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cabbage rolls by Harborwitch (I have done it both ...)
Hi,

We do cabbage rolls all the time afterall thats what russian national food is. I have done freezing and boiling and microwaving. My preferred method is microwave but freezing works great and seems to be the easiest.
  Re: Re: Cabbage rolls by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]We do cab...)
I do Ina Gartens recipe and they were so easy and very tasty.

Recipe
  Re: Re: Cabbage rolls by DFen911 (I do Ina Gartens rec...)
We had (olderly) neighbors in our old neighborhood who were Polish/Russian. During Lent, Katie would make stuffed cabbage with kasha instead of meat and they were delicious. She also made the best pierogis on the planet. Gosh, how we miss her!

Side note: Ron was very good friends with her husband, Stanley, and would share a beer with him on a regular basis. He used to keep a bottle of vodka out in the garage and when Ron would come over, he would say, "have a shot, Ronnie!" To which Ron would always tell him, no thanks, just can't do it. So, Stanley would do a shot himself and instead of saying "salute" he would say "nice driveway!"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cabbage rolls by Mare749 (We had (olderly) nei...)
Oh what a great story (and memory), Maryann!! Ronnie never gave in, huh??

I love cabbage rolls - don't know why I don't do them more often. so many ideas....so few days....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cabbage rolls by cjs (Oh what a great stor...)
My mom uses a recipe from a Jewish neighbour we had 50 years ago. No pork in those, obviously.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cabbage rolls by labradors (My mom uses a recipe...)
Maryann that is a wonderful story!! I love it