Valentine's Day, 2014
  Re: (...)
Our little romantic holiday is almost here - anyone have any plans??

Often I'll think how nice to go out for brunch or dinner, but then I think of the upped prices for less than perfect food and think - NAW, I'll stay home.

But, I had an idea for this year - maybe go out to a real dive where there year-round fare will be served at the same prices.... sounds good. Like maybe Frugal burgers or Dairy Queen, then there's the Front St. Tavern.................

decisions, decisions
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by cjs (Our little romantic ...)
Learned our lesson many years ago to never go out on Valentine's Day. The crowds are nuts. I have no idea of what we are doing at this point. It's sort of like NYE here - we seem to have just a regular old but nice dinner. I don't have a calendar in front of me but I think that's a non-school day (beginning of Prez weekend) so I could make something a little time consuming.

Or we could just grill some filets with a couple of crab legs on the side.
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by Trixxee (Learned our lesson m...)
We won't be going out either for all the reasons mentioned above. However, we do have theater tickets (Porgy and Bess) for Saturday afternoon, then we always go out after that. We seem to stick to a just a few favorite spots, good food and not too expensive.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by Mare749 (We won't be going ou...)
Do not read if you are a Romantic...I don't want to dishearten anyone

I really hate Valentines Day. I tell Derek everyday how much I love him and he always tells me. We show each other every day in word or gesture. I do not need a sanctimonious hallmark 'holiday' to express our love.

For me it's the principal of being directed to do something by a conglomerate to express a feeling that is no different on Feb 14th than any other day. Except - we're expected to buy flowers, candy, go out to an over priced dinner...bah won't have it. Would rather BBQ in my backyard and laugh my arse off at our stupid jokes and relish our life like we do every day we can.

Sorry for the rant.
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by DFen911 (Do not read if you a...)
Denise,

Don't apologize for your views - I feel the same way as well. We bought into that Kool-Aid a long time ago and finally came to our senses that everyday can be Valentine's Day!

And no, we don't go out anymore either because of the overpriced "Valentine's Day Specials". It's on a Friday night this year which is "Cook's Night Off" so we'll probably do takeout.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by BarbaraS (Denise,[br][br]Don't...)
Well pooh to you naysayers - it's kind of like Mom's day or Dad's day. We (most of us) love(d) our moms and dads and honored/loved them daily, but it was always fun to have just a special day for them. Same with Valentine's day to me.

To each his own.

Happy Valentine's everyone!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by cjs (Well pooh to you nay...)
I like the box of chocolates he always brings home... And the flowers... and the good bottle of wine...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by Mare749 (I like the box of ch...)
All right, I'll confess, I DO bring Hubby a box of Whitman's Sampler Chocolates.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by BarbaraS (All right, I'll conf...)
Since it's on a Friday, I'm not sure? If I picked, it would be steak night at home. If William has his usual Friday night at the farm? Who knows! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Valentine's Day, 2014 by Gourmet_Mom (Since it's on a Frid...)
If Andrew goes with him Daphne, how about a 'girl's Valentine dinner' with all the frills. I did that a couple of times when Roy was out of town...had lots of fun with a 'girl's night' which is very, very rare for me.
www.achefsjourney.com