Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking
  Re: (...)
I'm a little nostalgic this a.m. and decided to make a meal that I started making (and made so often) when I was but a 'wee' (in more ways than one!!) new bride and starting out my days in the kitchen. I must have made this meal 1 or 2 times a week for myself (that's a WHOLE 'nuther story ) and then the kids when they came along....

Ring of Bologna (boiled )
Fried potatoes and onions
Scallop corn

[Image: Jan16Bolognatatoescorn_zps9a178d9e.jpg]

It was so good!!

What are some of the dishes you loved starting out cooking???? This could be a fun thread!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by cjs (I'm a little nostalg...)
I guess Chicken and Macaroni or Country Fried Steak with mashers and peas are my earliest memories, since these were regulars at my house growing up. Baked BBQ Chicken was another, done with Carolina Treet with a baked potato and baked beans was another. Haven't thought about that one for a very long time!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by Gourmet_Mom (I guess Chicken and ...)
I made boneless skinless chicken breasts baked in a combination of Campbell's cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup. I was working as a night nurse at an alcoholic ward and had access to the kitchen, while I was in college. The inmates sometime gave me their remaining alcohol as a gesture of abstinence . By the way, it was good, the chicken and the perks!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by Old Bay (I made boneless ski...)
Bill, that is priceless!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, that is pricel...)
Crockpots had just arrived. I remember using one a lot back then and experimenting with the recipes in the booklet that came with it until Ron got tired of that.

We also ate a lot of spaghetti or noodle type dishes. Finally, I asked my mother-in-law to "walk me through" some of her dishes.

Great story, Bill!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by Mare749 (Crockpots had just a...)
That's funny, Bill!!

I also remember eating a lot of pork chops, 'cause they were so inexpensive......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by cjs (That's funny, Bill!!...)
I remember a lot of creamed tuna on rice, Welch Rarebit on English muffins. Those stand out . . . we were so broke on a Navy Seaman's salary. Most memorable . . . all of the guys he was in ET school with would come over every Thurs. afternoon and stay at our studio apt with us until Monday AM, when they'd all go back to base. One beautiful weekend we all piled in the car and went to a grocery store with a copy of The New York Times CookBook in hand . . . everyone chipped in to get all the spices, herbs, and ingredients. We went to a fish market and bought all the fresh fish. I prepped everything and we put it in a cooler and took it to the beach (we were one apt. bldg off Mission Beach at the amusement park) and built a fire and cooked the Bouillabaise on the beach. It was soooo good.

We ate lots of spaghetti, Mexican food. When we moved to Oakland I was tickled to learn "soul food".

After the divorce Laurie and I ate a bloody ton of ground lamb, broccoli, cottage cheese, & salads. More cheap food.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by Harborwitch (I remember a lot of ...)
OMG, Bill - that was a staple when I was in my college days in the apartment with 4 other girls, only we started with a bed of Minute Rice, and sprinkled Liptons Onion Soup Mix on top of everything before baking it!

Almost ashamed to admit how base my tastes can be, but to this day it is a comfort food for me that nobody else in the house will touch, but I will often just throw rice, campbells mushroom soup and some liptions in the micro and cook it for myself.

And I thought that ring bologna was a regional thing that only us PA people knew about! Ever make Polish caviar with cut up ring bologna and sliced onions in vinegar?
  Re: Re: Nostalgia - Early Years Cooking by iBcookin (OMG, Bill - that was...)
Oh Linda - I remember tastng that years ago!!! But, I've never done it.

I was a little disappointed in the bologna ring that I bought at The Pork Shop - it was very upscale and probably much healthier than the bologna rings of the 50s-60s! But, must say, I prefer the old 'filler' ingredients, I guess.

Reminds me of my love for Nalley's (?) pickled pigs feet in a glass jar with all that gelatinous (sp?) goop - I loved those. ONe of my kids gave me pickled pigs feet years later from a 'gourmet' type shop and didn't like them at all.
www.achefsjourney.com