Isn't this an oxymoron?
  Re: (...)
One of the free Kindle books, today, is Top 30 Tex-Mex Vegetarian Recipes. Isn't "Tex-Mex vegetarian" an oxymoron, such as "organised anarchy," "jumbo shrimp" or "Microsoft Works"?

Well, it's free, so I downloaded it. I'll take a look at it later to see if it has anything interesting or useful.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by labradors (One of the free Kind...)
I'm going out on a limb and say no. The way I love Mexican food, I quite often omit the meat called for in Tex-Mex or just Mexican dishes, just for the flavors adding beans instead if need be.

I just downloaded the book also - I'm off to go thru it.

---------------

Well, the author is not a professional (writer, at least) - the manner in which she writes her method for putting the dish together is overflowing with "take the....;" "then use...;" "then add.....;"then you can...."

But, a couple of the dishes - Pueblo Style Calabacitas - sound interesting.

Oh my, just read this -
"Then after this, use fine pesto coat for greasing the complete tortilla and use grated cheese as sprinkle. Then spead the pieces over one tortilla half.

Then chop the avocado into slices and then spread them all over zucchini.Then after this, fold over quesadilla and heat up the temperature to moderately high. Then turn from time to time."
--------------------
Well, just googled her and she has an impressive list of cookbooks under her belt -

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2...20R.%20McNeeley

But, her verbage is unbelievable! huh.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by cjs (I'm going out on a l...)
I know this makes me sound like an obnoxious snob, but I can't tolerate that kind of writing. Instead of concentrating on the content, I find myself editing the pages. Maybe it's a leftover from teaching classes that met the writing requirement at CSU. Even though I end up rewriting most procedure sections when I enter recipes into Living Cookbook, I still won't use any with that kind of writing. It does not give me confidence about the recipe. Those books must be self-published. I can't believe that writing would get past an editor.

Speaking of Mexican someone was raving about Bayless' Guacamole recipe from Fiesta. Has anyone here tried it?
  Re: Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by Cubangirl (I know this makes me...)
"Those books must be self-published."

Must take exception to this blanket statement! I self-publish my books and they are gone over with a microscope (even tho some mistakes sneak through!) and by many proofreaders (some included on this site).

Sorry, just couldn't let that one pass....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by cjs ("Those books must be...)
Jean, I did not blanket self-published books as being bad. My comment was that if she'd had a publisher, there would have been an editor to correct grammar and make it more readable.

I have read excellent and grammatically correct self published books. There was no intention on my part to offend, so please accept my apologies if I did.
  Re: Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by Cubangirl (Jean, I did not blan...)
My knowledge of vegiterianism is limited to one dish from three cuisines. Texmex, nachos with beans, salsa, jalapeƱos , and guacamole. Chinese, Hot & Sour soup, and Italian, Eggplant Parmasagn. It would be a very short publication.

Oh, and Caprese Salad!
  Re: Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by Old Bay (My knowledge of vegi...)
Accepted - Self-publishing has had such a bad name for so many years, that now that we are being taken seriously, I so dislike to hear it disparaged.

William, I must make for you my "ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PENNE AL BURRO"!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by cjs (Accepted - Self-publ...)
Many Amazon-self-published books do have problems and I've seen some horrendous ones. On the other hand, some writers use a form of other-party proofreading.

It's called "beta reading" and I have done so for a couple of writers. There's no money in it, but it IS fun to have an author email a "beta" copy of his book for you to critique. Some just ask for whatever comments you care to make but some are better organised and provide a list of questions they want you to answer, as well (e.g. "Did you notice anything confusing or out of place"). In one case, the author had obviously rewritten a section and actually had about two-thirds of an entire chapter duplicated. In another, a character re-appeared two chapters after he was killed and it was NOT something where he had come back to life or had only appeared to have died - it was just a mistake.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Isn't this an oxymoron? by labradors (Many Amazon-self-pub...)
I know it's a hard and meticulous task to ask of people/friends and I've been so lucky to have a group to help me out.
www.achefsjourney.com