Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts?
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by cjs (That's great, Labs -...)
One thing I found that sounds interesting is a recipe for Terrine Aux Courgettes - a vegetarian terrine made with zucchini, onions and spinach.

Another thing I'm considering are Gougères. At first, I wondered if they would freeze okay, but several sources, including this recipe give good instructions for freezing them.

Also plan on trying (myself - before using at the gallery) pimiento-cheese tea sandwiches. To keep the cost low, I'm not going to use jarred pimientos, however, but shall roast a red bell pepper and add a little paprika to compensate for the slight difference in taste (after all, pimientos are the very peppers from which paprika is made, anyway). Which pimiento-cheese recipe do you all prefer: with Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, or both?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by labradors (One thing I found th...)
Glad to hear she is doing Empanadas. The Gougeres are a great idea, again, something we have done , and lots of things can be added to them. Sounds like you know what direction you are going in, so, best of luck.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by labradors (One thing I found th...)
Quote:

Also plan on trying (myself - before using at the gallery) pimiento-cheese tea sandwiches. To keep the cost low, I'm not going to use jarred pimientos, however, but shall roast a red bell pepper and add a little paprika to compensate for the slight difference in taste (after all, pimientos are the very peppers from which paprika is made, anyway). Which pimiento-cheese recipe do you all prefer: with Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, or both?

Hugh Acheson's pimento cheese is the best I've ever had. He uses smoked paprika and red bell peppers. Topped with caramelized onions as we had it on Friday night, it is one of the best things I've ever eaten. The recipe is here.. However, I don't think it matter whether you use white or yellow cheddar.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Cool! That validates my instinct to use paprika and red bell peppers instead of the more-expensive pimientos!

Thanks, Karyn!
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by labradors (Cool! That validate...)
Haven't made the pimiento cheese, yet since I couldn't find the mayonnaise that I bought the other day. It must hiding somewhere.

I did, however, make that zucchini terrine and was not impressed. I did take it over there, though, in case it was just my taste. She liked it, but didn't love it, and said she'd be able to repurpose it into a quiche. LOL!

On the other hand, I also made Financiers - little cakes supposedly named by their resemblance to gold bars, and those were Deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicous!

[Image: ltpu.jpg]

Since I don't have true Financier tins, I used mini loaf tins. Initially, the amount of batter I used resulted in larger Financiers, such as the one on the left, but those seemed bigger than most of the descriptions I had heard, so I used half as much batter to make smaller ones, such as the one on the right.

Here's the recipe, which makes 12 of the smaller or 6 of the larger.

Financiers

Ingredients:
  • Sugar: 110 g
  • Almond powder: 55 g
  • Flour: 35 g
  • Egg whites: 100 g (3 large eggs)
  • Unsalted butter 100 g
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
  2. Place butter into a saucepan.
  3. Cook until it is golden brown and stops foaming (beurre noisette).
  4. Filter the butter to remove the solids.
  5. Allow to cool.
  6. Combine egg whites, sugar, flour and almond powder with a spatula without trying to incorporate air.
  7. Add the melted butter.
  8. Allow the batter to rest.
  9. Grease small individual molds.
  10. Pour the batter into the molds.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes.
  12. Unmold the financiers.
  13. Put onto plates.
  14. Allow to cool.
  15. Serve with tea or coffee.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by labradors (Haven't made the pim...)
That sounds really good, Labs!

Copied and saved!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by Gourmet_Mom (That sounds really g...)
BTW, from what I've read, these little cakes probably don't store very well. Most references said to bake them the same day they are to be served but one said they could survive a few days in an airtight container.

What they DID say was that the BATTER can be kept in the freezer and then thawed in the refrigerator the night before needed.

Also (something I failed to include in the above recipe) many versions of the recipe say not only to rest the batter before baking, but to refrigerate it for at least three hours. Thus, as long as you won't leave the batter in the fridge for TOO long, you can bake only a few Financiers, as needed.