Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts?
  Re: (...)
The art-gallery owner is going to open her "café" again, soon and is looking for small items (hors d'oeuvres, appetisers or small desserts) that can be made and stored (frozen or room temperature) ahead of time and that would require only minimal assembly or reheating.

The main idea is to get people to come into her gallery to look at the paintings so that, maybe, somebody could buy some of them. Thus, she isn't looking for large portions or a big menu. Also, the more "portable" the items are, the better, so that people could actually walk around, viewing the art with their snacks without having to juggle a knife and a fork along with a plate, although a few non-finger-food options are okay.

Those mini quiches that are sold frozen came to mind, but she already has quiche on her list of things that she plans to make (and those frozen ones aren't sold here, anyway). That type of thing would be a good example of what would work well, however: freezable, easily heatable and quite portable.

These items also should be inexpensive to make and not TOO "exotic." For example, although rumaki could probably work in other contexts, it may be too "out there" for many locals (or tourists) and, aside from that, tins of water chestnuts aren't especially cheap here.

Certain fruits, nuts or other apparently common ingredients may also not be good, in this case, for dessert items, due to their cost and/or availability. For example, raspberries are completely unavailable, strawberries ARE available, but a little pricey for something like this (the same for butterscotch or chocolate morsels, pecans, almonds and macadamias), but guava paste, mango, banana, pineapple or papaya would be good choices.

Right now, other than the aforementioned mini quiches, I'm drawing a blank and just keep thinking of things that are too bug, too messy, too difficult not easily storable.

What ideas would you all have?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by labradors (The art-gallery owne...)
Small arancini - straight Italian with a moz. cube inside.

Little quiches are perfect.

I know there are more . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by Harborwitch (Small arancini - str...)
How about mini muffins? They look nice and are easy to eat.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by Mare749 (How about mini muffi...)
Do you have access to puff pastry? Puff pastry spread with any of a number of cheese & veggie combos and/or pestos can be rolled into logs, frozen, and then used like slice and bake cookies. A recipe I really enjoy is here:

Parmesean Pesto Pinwheels

8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 green onions with tops, 1" pieces
1 cup pesto sauce
1 package puff pastry sheets

1. In a food processor, process cream cheese, parmesan cheese, green onions
and pesto until blended.

2. On a lightly floured board, roll one sheet of puff pastry into a 10 x 16
inch rectangle. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over pastry,
covering completely.

3. Roll lengthwise, like a jellyroll, starting at long edn, to make a log
approximately 1 1/4" in diameter. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

4. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until solid, several hours, or
for several months.

5. Remove logs from freezer about 15 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to
375 degrees. Slice logs into 1/4" rounds (about 50 slices per log).
Place on ungreased baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 13
minutes, or until pastry is lightly browned. If using two baking sheets at
the same time, reverse their positions halfway through baking time. Serve hot.

Another option is a variation on southern-style cheese straws. Again, I just form them into logs, freeze, then slice and bake. Here is that recipe:

Cheese Krispies

1 cup butter
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups rice krispies®

1. Cream together butter and cheese; add flour and red pepper a little at a
time. Add rice krispies, mix gently but well. Form into balls and place on a
cookie sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake at 350 for 15 to 220 minutes.

Cooking Tip: Alternatively, dough can be formed into two logs for slice and
bake cookies. Just roughly form logs on plastic wrap, then roll wrap around
logs to even things out. The dough freezes really well.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by karyn (Do you have access t...)
Aha, those cheese logs sound good!!

Labs - mini muffin tins may not be available, but maybe a mac & cheese made with orzo or other very small pasta, cut into cubes and topped with either a marinara or spicy BBQ dollop - just a tad.

One wine 'street' tasting I did was squares of polenta with 3 sauces - again with the dollop of sauce for easier eating.

From "a Chef's Journey Home," you might look at Meximuffins (pg. 22) - cutting muffins into wedges. Not fancy, but soo tasty.
Also, the Artichoke appetizers (pg. 15) - but they might be to close to the quiche texture to repeat.
Pineapple cheese ball (page 18), but don't make a ball, use as a spread on crackers
Chicken Aloutee Mousse (page 19) - no way would you have Alouette Garlic & Herbs, but cream cheese and spice it up yourself?

Really hokie, but easy to eat and tasty - spear a cube of cheese with pretzel sticks.

This a dish that is so tasty and uses scraps of strong cheeses - a Michael Chiarello recipe

Salsa di Parmigiano

1/2 lb Parmesan cheese, not too dry
1/2 lb Asiago cheese, not too dry
2 Tbs chopped green onion
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. Remove any rind from the cheeses and chop the cheeses into rough 1" chunks. Pulse the cheeses in a food processor until reduced to the size of fine pea gravel. Transfer the cheese to a bowl and stir in the green onion and garlic.

2. Add the oregano, rubbing it between your fingers to release its fragrance. Add the black pepper, red pepper flakes, and the olive oil. Stir well.

3. Cover and let stand at room termperature for at least 4 hours before using.

Yield: Makes 3 1/2 C to serve 16

Source
Source: Casual Cooking by Michael Chiarello

Author Notes
Michael writes: "My friend and collegue Susie Heller invented this spicy marinated cheese, which she called GLOP, when she was a caterer in Cleveland, and it was so popular that a local deli began selling it. She brings it to our company parties now, and it vanishes immediately. Susie usually serves it with warm toast, but it's also terrific in a baked potato or tossed with hot pasta. You can refrigerate it for days, but bring it to room temperature before using." Michael's notes: The recipe specifies "not too dry" for the cheeses. A well-aged Parmesan or Asiago could break the blade on your food processor.
--------
Maybe thinly sliced beef, pork, chicken threaded on a short skewer w/a drizzle of something

Another you could play with - do figs grow down there???
FIG-PEANUT RELISH

The above is a subrecipe of: BBQ duck sandwich with fig-peanut relish - Look for recipe in folder for Recipes from Magazines - under Plate on Line

Figs, dried, quartered 2 C
Water 2 C
Red pepper, diced 1 each
Shallots, diced 2 each
Cilantro, bunch 1/4 each
Oranges, zest and juice 2 each
Peanuts, toasted, roughly chopped 1 C
Worcestershire sauce 1 TBS
Balsamic vinegar 1 TBS
Honey 2 TBS
Olive oil 1/2 C

1. Place figs and water in a saucepot and bring to simmer. Cook figs until water evaporates. Let figs cool, then place in bowl. Add red pepper, shallots, cilantro, orange zest and juice and hoisin sauce and stir well. Add peanuts, balsamic vinegar, honey, and olive oil to sauce and reserve.

------------------------
Dessert ideas -

Chocolate pumpkin brownies
Apple Cake w caramel sauce
Bread pudding made with very small cubes of bread to be able to cut into squares and drizzled

-------------

Even if none of these ideas work, I'm thinking with your mind, they may trigger an idea for you to run with!!

Sorry, I tend to get carried away with this kind of question~!! And, it makes me want to cater something.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by cjs (Aha, those cheese lo...)
Lots of great-sounding ideas, although some adaptations may be required. It's amazing how many ingredients we take for granted in one location that aren't available in another. Even when I was in the States, last month, there were things I was used to here that weren't available there.

Right next to the new supermarket that opened last month, there is a new department store (there has to be a better term - this isn't like Sears, et al, but is more like those places without the clothing sales) and it had quite a few Wilton products, so I may be able to get some decent mini-muffin and/or tartlet tins. It would be great if they also had Madeleine tins (Madeleines would be perfect for this), but that's probably hoping for too much.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by labradors (Lots of great-soundi...)
Mini mac & cheese - made in mini muffin tins.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by Harborwitch (Mini mac & cheese - ...)
We have made and frozen a lot of empanadas/turnovers for catering events. Depending on what meats/vegetables/cheeses are reasonably priced and available to you, there are loads of great combinations. We have frozen them both cooked and uncooked.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by Lorraine (We have made and fro...)
She's already planning on empanadas.

The store with the Wilton products didn't have the Madeleine tins,

Oddly enough, a cheap-looking, aluminum, mini-muffin tin cost 50% more than either the silicone mini-treat molds or the silicone "pop" molds. Also, they happened to have all baking items on special for 30% off, so I got one each of the mini-treat and pop molds and I'll experiment with those.
  Re: Re: Freezable hors d'oeuvres/appys/small desserts? by labradors (She's already planni...)
That's great, Labs - let us know what you decide to do.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com