Full Beef Wellington
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

It's been eons since I made anything BUT individual wellingtons, but I did one about 20+ years ago and can't find the recipe I used or any notes.

Anywho, my soon-to-be-ex SIL has invited all of us over again to her (for now) house the weekend after Christmas when they get back from Disney World. I offered the main dish and would like to make a couple of 3lb beef wellingtons instead of 10 individual ones.

I looked in my old Joy of Cooking (which was all I had back then) and it says to roast the tenderloins unwrapped for 30 minutes at 425, remove from oven, let cool a bit, wrap in the puff pastry and return to oven at 350 for 10 minutes, then reduce temp again and roast until puff pastry is golden brown. I figure if any part comes out too underdone, it can go into the microwave for a minute or two.

What are your suggestions? I really want to do this because Hubby and I are the only ones that can outlay the cost of this main dish and I want it to be special for SIL and nieces/nephews.

TIA,
Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Full Beef Wellington by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]It's...)
I adore Gordan Ramsay's Beef Wellington -

http://gordonramsaysrecipes.com/tag/beef-wellington/
  Re: Re: Full Beef Wellington by DFen911 (I adore Gordan Ramsa...)
I'd go with Denise's suggestion of Ramsey's method, Barbara. Good luck. My only suggestions would be to cut the tail off (3-4" that is too small and will overcook) before starting. Also, I'd use a temp. probe and roast the beef just to 125-130F.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Full Beef Wellington by cjs (I'd go with Denise's...)
That recipe is just a little over the top for the family. I just want to know if I should sear the whole thing in a pan or roast it in the oven before it gets covered in puff pastry.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Full Beef Wellington by BarbaraS (That recipe is just ...)
Just sear it first.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Full Beef Wellington by BarbaraS (That recipe is just ...)
I haven't made it in probably 25 years, but I used to sear it , let it cool, add the duxelles, and wrap in puff pastry.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Full Beef Wellington by Lorraine (I haven't made it in...)
Great!! Thank you!!

Barbara