Cornbread with Buttered Pears
  Re: (...)
One of my best childhood friends just retired from General Mills and was able to move back here from Minnesota after being away for 16 years. So excited to have her back! We were visiting today and comparing notes from yesterday's dinner. A friend made this dish and it was a huge hit. I have not made it yet, but will be making it very soon! Just wanted to share the recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Southern Cornbread with Buttered Pears

1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 T. honey
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups peeled, cored and diced pears (about 2 firm bartletts
4 sage leaves, chopped

Heat the oven to 400. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in an 8 or 9 inch iron skillet. If you don't have one - seriously - go get one. You will use it ALL of the time. Heat to medium high. Add in the pears and sage. Cook until they start to just brown - use you nose, when it just starts to smell nutty it's done. Use a slotted spoon to remove the pears and sage to a bowl and put the pan and butter in the oven. Whisk the dry ingredients together in a big bowl. Melt the remaining butter and honey together. Whisk the egg and buttermilk together. Slowly drizzle the butter and honey into the buttermilk, whisking all the while. Stir wet and dry together until just mixed. Be nice, don't beat the hell out of it. Fold in the pears and sage. Get the pan out of the oven and pour the batter in - you will see buttery crispy edges start to form. Back in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown on top. Remove and let cool for a few. Test. Test again. Try to save some for dinner.

Source:
"aargsi on Food 52"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cornbread with Buttered Pears by Mare749 (One of my best child...)
That sounds really good, Maryann! Let us know how it turns out!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cornbread with Buttered Pears by Gourmet_Mom (That sounds really g...)
I am so trying this. But I have questions

1 - Do you think the baking would be thrown off with the fact I have a 10" cast iron skillet?

2 - I don't see pears and sage smelling "nutty" as they cook. Having never done this do they smell nutty?

I am so intrigued by the flavor profiles here!
  Re: Cornbread with Buttered Pears by Mare749 (One of my best child...)
This sounds really good.

Denise I think the butter, pears & sage might have a bit of a earthy/nutty smell. But then . . . I just think it sounds so good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cornbread with Buttered Pears by Harborwitch (This sounds really g...)
You'll have a thinner cornbread, Denise, so I'd start testing it 5 to 8 minutes earlier.

I can imagine the nutty aroma and this does sound so tasty, Maryann - thanks for posting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com