Turkey?
  Re: (...)
I just remembered a tip about getting crispy skin on a bird, but I'm a little concerned about trying it. I've heard it in more than one place that it is good to rinse and dry your bird and put it in the fridge uncovered to dry out the skin so it will roast a crispier skin.

First, is this true?

Second, is there a danger of contamination to other foods in the fridge?

Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Turkey? by Gourmet_Mom (I just remembered a ...)
I've done this for a few hours with a chicken. If you have concerns, "blow up" an oven roaster bag around the bird on a plate and seal it.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Turkey? by BarbaraS (I've done this for a...)
I guess I could put a foil roasting pan over it. I wonder if overnight is too long? And do I go on and season it so that all I have to do is stick it in the oven in the morning? I think I'm just going with salt, pepper and garlic this year. And do I rub it with olive oil before putting it in the oven or does that undo the drying process?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Turkey? by Gourmet_Mom (I guess I could put ...)
Daphne,

I would season it before you dry out the skin. I don't know about rubbing it with olive oil, I just put a butter compound under the skin and let it crisp, although in patches, that way.

Where are all the other Chefs?? Chime in now!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Turkey? by BarbaraS (Daphne,[br][br]I wou...)
Hmmm, I really don't know, Daphne. I'm guessing oiling it just as you put it in the oven will not restrict the crispness.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turkey? by cjs (Hmmm, I really don't...)
I air dry chickens and chicken pieces this way. Never thought about it contaminating anything via air. I would rub with butter or oil and then season right before popping into the oven.
  Re: Re: Turkey? by Trixxee (I air dry chickens a...)
Okay, I'm going to make compound butter tonight and rinsing and drying the turkey to dry out the skin tonight. Compound butter will go under and on the skin tomorrow. We shall see if it makes a difference. Thanks for all the advice you guys!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Turkey? by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I'm going to m...)
More questions....you'd think I have never made a turkey! LOL! But in previous years it was just okay. So here's the question:

To baste or not to baste?
Temperature of the oven? (I expect differing opinions on this one.)
Daphne
  Re: Re: Turkey? by Gourmet_Mom (More questions....yo...)
Personally I think basting helps juiciness, crispiness and flavor.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turkey? by cjs (Personally I think b...)
I'm very big on basting and my skin always comes out golden and delish