Thanksgiving Plans and Notes 2013
  Re: (...)
Wow, how did it get here so soon??? 10 Days!!!

Any plans made?

I'm going to do a spatchcocked turkey this year - depending on the weather whethr I put it on the grill or in oven, but it will be fun to play with. Also, a while back I saw an idea for a crustless apple pie, but the thought of not having pumpkin just doesn't work for me, so Roy may have to wait for the apple.

Don't know what else - but with turkey leftovers, I ought to be able to fill up a few pages of the next installment of ON THE ROAD.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thanksgiving Plans and Notes 2013 by cjs (Wow, how did it get ...)
We were going to go camping but they made changes at the home where Derek's dad is so we're gonna stay put.

This will be the first year I haven't cooked for people. It will be just Derek and I this time.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by DFen911 (We were going to go ...)
Also staying home, as we have been for the last couple of years. This year especially! Will just be the three of us.

We are actually going to do two chickens instead of a turkey since we really don't like turkey. Still looking for the right stuffing dish (Tony said something about making it out of cornbread) and the right brussels sprouts dish. Mashed potatoes, gravy and pumpkin pie will round it out.

I am definitely looking forward to next week as there is no school.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by Trixxee (Also staying home, a...)
We are making Thanksgiving dinner at home this year. Holly will be going to visit her in-laws, so Heather will help me cook. Also asked my dad, my in-laws, and my sister. Don't have a total count yet, but that's okay. We make enough to feed an army.

Denise, will you be able to take your FIL out for the day or does he need to stay put?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by Mare749 (We are making Thanks...)
We will have 9 for Thanksgiving dinner here at home. This will be my first year cooking for the holidays as a grandma This will be very cool.

My daughter is a vegetarian, so no in-the-bird-stuffing. So I am going to deep fry two turkeys, one plain, and one Cajun. Most of our guests have never had a deep fried turkey before.

I just bought a new turkey fryer... Our propane fryer walked off somewhere But it gave me a good excuse to purchase this electric one. Cooks up to a 20 lb bird!

I will review later in case anyone is interested...

[Image: masterbuilt-butterball-indoor-turkey-fryer-xl.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by luvnit (We will have 9 for T...)
I've seen those - anxious to hear how they work....., Grandma.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by cjs (I've seen those - an...)
If it works well for the birds, I am going to try it when I do huge batches of egg rolls. I bet I can do a few more than 4 at a time!
Laura
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by luvnit (If it works well for...)
Maryann he has to stay put so we will go to him. The chef there is cooking up dinner for folks that live there and guests. Their diets are restrictive. So while we are there I'll have a small turkey in our oven for later that evening

Laura can you do smaller birds too like chickens? I've never had a fried turkey either. I did smoke one a few years back. It was ok, but nothing to brag about.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by DFen911 (Maryann he has to st...)
Denise, you can fry small chickens too. But the best part is you can use it as a steamer and steam crab legs, or do a low country boil!!
Laura
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Plans????? by luvnit (Denise, you can fry ...)
Ahhh, Sa-wheeet!!!!

We're going over to my soon-to-be ex-SIL (don't go there) and my nephew's, nieces, and sister.

I've been asked to do the 8-layer lasagna, my awesome stuffing, cranberry/orange relish, and since I am the only one who knows how to buy Pillsbury pre-made dough, one Wisconsin Double Good Blueberry pie.

The one non-vegetarian nice is making a brined turkey. I'm making a vegetarian lasagna for the veggie niece.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.