Way off topic question
  Re: (...)
Well, two weeks ago we had a wedding for 200 and after specifically requesting no open flame candles, the bride insisted that the centerpieces she made for the head table would not drip. Which of course, they did - ruining 4 tablecloths. Thankfully they were not the brand new floor length tablecloths I specifically purchased for her wedding, but still, now I have candle wax on 4 white tablecloths. I have done the paper towel, warm iron thing and am left with just small quarter size spots, thankfully, not the orange of the candle wax, but I don't think that these will wash out. Any suggestions from all you guys on how to get the remainder of these spots out?

As I learn from each event, I am now very specific in the contract that any damage to tablecloths, etc., will require full replacement. Two years ago we had a bride who had lots of children at the wedding and gave all of them crayons and coloring books. Lovely idea until they decided to draw on my white wedding tablecloths. Try getting red crayon out! I just grinned and worked at it, but now I have grown more cranky in my old age.

And then there is the lipstick on white napkins!
  Re: Way off topic question by iBcookin (Well, two weeks ago ...)
I think I would send her a letter that while she guaranteed the candles would not drip they did and thus ruined 4 tablecloths at a cost of $ X.00. Payment to be made to ___________ and mailed to _____________.

What type of fabric are the table cloths?
Wow. You must have nerves of steel, Linda. Sure wish I had an answer for you but I don't. Just wanted to show support.

One thought that did cross my mind...is there some way that you could add a surcharge for linens and plates to the total cost per person? I remember having to pay more for those when my daughters got married.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Way off topic question by DFen911 (I think I would send...)
'Fraid I can't help with any ideas, but what a crappy deal!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I don't know if a "Magic Eraser" will work on fabric. But it took black crayon off of white walls.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Way off topic question by esgunn (I don't know if a "M...)
Found this link. Sounds like you have done some of this (I assume your paper towel does the same thing as the paper bag). They are suggesting washing with soap and washing in very hot water (but do not dry in the dryer or that will set the stain).

Several people commented that these steps did work for them. Good luck. What a pain!

Oops, forgot to add the link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_113031_wax-tablecloth.html
  Re: Re: Way off topic question by Trixxee (Found this link. So...)
Washing with baking soda and peroxide might help, you probbly tried that already tho
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Way off topic question by farnfam (Washing with baking ...)
Just thought of the Purex or Clorox pens I used to use on my jackets - took out darn near anything.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Way off topic question by cjs (Just thought of the ...)
My first thought was, if they paid by credit card, charge the card. But, after talking to Gil, here is what he said. The contract said no open flames, but you agreed to let them have them. So, what's in the contract is gone. You can send them a letter and try to get the money from them, but if they don't pay....not much you can do.

So, We bought our own table clothes and napkins, and charge per piece. If some get destroyed, (like the lady that also had dripless candles, but it caught fire and we lost a bunch of stuff), we can recoup the loss. I think the only thing you can do from now on, is say No, No, No. We learnt the hard way.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Way off topic question by cjs (Just thought of the ...)
Have you thought of going to your dry cleaners? Either let them deal with it, or, perhaps they have a commercial product you can purchase.

Glad to see you are starting to enter clauses in your contract stating expectations and consequences if not met. Learned the hard way-lawyer said if it's not stated in your contract, judge will likely throw it out. (At least in my state). IE, it's one thing to say "you can't do this". Quite another to say "you can't do this, if you breach the contract, you will be charged $$cost of items for breach". No mistaking that! Of course, collecting is another kettle of fish entirely.

I'm thinking a linen service is not feasible here, what with minimums and deliveries and all. Is there anyway you could rent your linens by the event and build cost into your price? Good luck!

PJ
PJ