The Empress has a turkey question
  Re: (...)
I know there are going to be other questions as Thanksgiving draws closer.
So I thought I would start this thread and begin collecting them.
My question is: Please remind which kind of turkeys are okay to brine?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: The Empress has a turkey question by farnfam (I know there are goi...)
Any that are not injected.

I'll make this a sticky!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by cjs (Any that are not inj...)
So the self basting ones can't be brined correct?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by farnfam (So the self basting ...)
I think those would have sodium added, also. But it will say on the label if it is. I've never bought one of those. Maybe someone else will know, MS Empress.........................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by cjs (I think those would ...)
I have never brined a turkey. I don't have a container big enough since I usually buy 20-25lb birds. So there's my question, just how do you brine a big bird and for how long?
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by DFen911 (I have never brined ...)
I've used garbage bags and put in a laundry tray. I know some folks say garbage bags are not food safe, I've never had a problem. I think I brined about 8-10 hours, rinse, dried off and chilled until the next day for stuffing and/or roasting.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by cjs (I've used garbage ba...)
I've never done it, but I've read some folks used a cleaned large cooler. Perfect because it will keep it cold and can be placed safely anywhere. This post Kenji's take on brining from Serious Eats might be helpful.
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by Cubangirl (I've never done it, ...)
I forgot about the cooler - I did that a couple of times. Great idea
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by cjs (I forgot about the c...)
Okay, here goes -

If you have access to places that sell kosher foods, ask about the Empire brand turkeys. Okay, they're expensive pound-wise, but the most moist chickens and turkeys I've ever bought.

I think the only turkey I brined was for the initial "Movable Feast" to my late In-Laws house and it was just a store brand. Plus I used dark brown sugar so it added to the illusion of a cooked skin. My stuffing was AWESOME!! I got it from an Alton Brown show and Hubby's Dad couldn't have enough, much to the consternation of the MIL, she took his plate away after the 4th helping - which was like a tablespoonful.

Recipes to follow for the stuffing. Just got home from a 12 1/2 day at work, need some down time.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: The Empress has a turkey question by BarbaraS (Okay, here goes - [b...)
Ok but think about a 23lb bird in a big bag filled with brine. That is not manageable nor would it fit in my fridge. I can fit the bird alone in there but not in a bag filled with water.

If you use a cooler how long are you brining it for? I would think you'd need a LOT of ice to keep it cold and then the melted ice has to drain and you have to have replacement ice.