Beef Carbonnade
  Re: (...)
We have made this a lot using chuck roast and it has always been delicious. We are planning a small dinner party next month with BC as the star. HEB has prime top sirloin on sale for $5.95/lb. I am tempted to use this as the beef. It cooks for two hours in liquid to finish. Any comments on your expectations of tenderness and flavor as compared the one made with chuck? Really is tempting due to price.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Beef Carbonnade by Old Bay (We have made this a ...)
Gotta say, I really prefer the flavor of chuck over Sirloin, but that is a nice deal.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by cjs (Gotta say, I really ...)
I agree. Sirloin is always a last choice for me. For a dinner party, I would definitely go with chuck.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by Gourmet_Mom (I agree. Sirloin is...)
I agree. I always use chuck or cross rib roasts when doing any kind of long braise. Last time I made carbonnade, I adapted two CI recipes for the pressure cooker, and used round and it was wonderful (used bacon and Newcastle Brown Ale, instead of Belgian beer). It was as good as what I had in Belgium. Have to remember that dishes like carbonnade were originally "poor folk" food intended to make the lesser cuts work.
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by Cubangirl (I agree. I always us...)
I'm with everyone else here. Chuck is the way to go for flavor. I really don't use sirloin for anything, nor do we at work, either. But good price!

PJ
PJ