Smoked Tomato & White Bean Succotash
  Re: (...)
Just saw this one in the email - smoking the corn and tomatoes for succotash sounds like such a great idea. And, I wonder how much of the smoked cob flavor would come thru when making corn stock with the l/o cobs. hmmmmmm.

SMOKED TOMATO AND WHITE BEAN SUCCOTASH

Plateonline.com newsletter, 10/15/13 - Chef Jeff Rossman - Terra Restaurant and Bar - San Diego, Calif., USA
Yield: 1 gal

Corn 2 Lb
Roma tomatoes 4 1/2 Lb
White beans, 80% cooked 2 Lb
Hoja santa, chiffonade 1/2 C
Sherry vinegar 3/4 C
Roasted garlic oil 1/2 C
Limes, zest of 4 each
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Smoke the corn and tomatoes for about 2 hours. Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and reserve. Discard cobs. Chop the tomatoes into a 1/2-inch dice.

2. Combine the corn and tomatoes in a mixing bowl with the beans, hoja santa, sherry vinegar, garlic oil and lime zest. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.

3. When ready to serve, sauté the mixture in a sauté pan to heat through.

4. Notes:

5. Hoja santa is a regional mexican herb that has a flavor that is a cross between sage and mint. It is also called herba santa. It is available through specialty produce vendors. Chef rossman suggests serving the side dish with molasses-cured roasted pork loin or stuffed pork chops.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoked Tomato & White Bean Succotash by cjs (Just saw this one in...)
If I can get decent corn, I'd love to try this. Can't get Hoja Santa, but I do have lots of sage and mint, maybe I could mix the two. I think you're right about the corn cobs, that would be one smokey stock. On the other hand, if you added some of the stock to other stock, or meat, it would impart some smokiness without actually having to smoke whatever you are cooking. Here's hoping for nice corn, and good weather. If I can get decent corn, I'd like to try this.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Smoked Tomato & White Bean Succotash by Lorraine (If I can get decent ...)
I would like to try this too, but have the same problem as Lorraine. Corn season is over so it's not looking too good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoked Tomato & White Bean Succotash by Mare749 (I would like to try ...)
Well, you'll have to head south with us!!! (I'll let you know.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Tomato & White Bean Succotash by cjs (Well, you'll have to...)
Jean, I will be heading south a week from Friday.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoked Tomato & White Bean Succotash by Mare749 (Jean, I will be head...)
Oh, that's right - lucky dog!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Tomato & White Bean Succotash by cjs (Oh, that's right - l...)
I can't remember if I ever did this one, but thanks Anon for looking at it!!!! Perfect time of year for this!
www.achefsjourney.com