Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm 'pulling' & shaving all the pork I cooked yesterday. Have 7 nice pkgs. of shaved Mr. Brown's Smoked pork and 2 lbs. shredded pulled pork.

[Image: Oct62lbsPulledpork_zps7b36e064.jpg]

These ought to last the 2 of us all winter!! Also I have ~1 qt. jus that the pulled pork slo cooked in (onions, beef stock, and the pork flavors) that I'm going to make a big batch of rice for the freezer. Lot of freezer eating, that's for sure.

First up - Mr. Brown Sandwich with chips.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Don't you just love when you have a nice supply in the freezer? So handy for busy days.

I have Tommy with me today. He has a fever and I will be taking him to the pediatrician in a bit. So far today, I have made ramen noodles (for him)and deviled eggs for later. Also thawed some ground beef for hamburgers on the grill tonight. Going to make those yummy mushrooms with anchovy butter to go on the burgers with a nice toasty roll.

Was going to make french fries to go with the burgers, but now I'm thinking of trying another pumpkin soup recipe, this one uses light miso for flavoring.

Dessert will be two Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon that I saved from yesterday.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by Mare749 (Don't you just love ...)
Those bars sound soo good, Maryann. Better look them up...maybe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by cjs (Those bars sound soo...)
Today is dark and rainy, and very windy. I guess I should be grateful it's not snowing yet Seems like a soup kind of day.
Spent most of today spinning wool and alpaca into yarn. Orders are coming in. James has made me an adore able little spinning wheel to hold my business cards. I'll post a pic when it's done
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by farnfam (Today is dark and ra...)
Quote:

Today is dark and rainy, and very windy

Here too, so I put th ribs in the oven, then the sun came out. I got up early and made coleslaw and potato salad, and we'll have chili beans and a green salad. Baked apples for dessert.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
It's an older recipe, Jean. I'll post it for anyone who might want it.

Pumpkin Caramel Bars with bacon

Pumpkin Caramel Bars with bacon - Issue #83 Bacon adds out-of-this-world flavor to these bars, but if you're not feeling adventurous, substitute chopped pecans far the bacon instead.

FOR THE BARS-
8 oz bacon, diced
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp table salt
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans (optional)
For the Frosting -
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/3 cup water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter, cubed
4 oz cream cheese, cut into 1" cubes
Sea Salt (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Cook bacon in a saute pan over medium heat until crisp; drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside. Reserve 2 T. drippings.

2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and table salt for the bars in a medium bowl; set aside.

3. Whisk together pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, egg, melted butter, bacon drippings and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in flour mixture and pecans.

4. Spread pumpkin batter evenly into prepared pan; bake until a tooth-pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 min. Let cool completely before frosting. Boil 2 cups brown sugar, water and pinch of salt for the frosting in a large saucepan over high heat, 5 minutes, (MAY NOT TAKE 5 MIN., REMOVE FROMHEAT WHEN A BEAUTIFUL CARAMEL COLOR) gently swirling occasionally to prevent scorching.

5. Whisk in cream and butter pieces. (Mixture will bubble furiously; keep whisking.) Boil2 minutes more. Transfer caramel to the bowl of a stand mixer; whip on high speed until sides of bowl are cool to the touch and caramel is thick, 8-10 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add cream cheese, 1 cube at a time, until frosting is smooth. Frost cooled bars.

6. Finely chop cooked bacon and sprinkle onto frosted bars with sea salt. Store bars in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

Yield: Makes 24 bars

Source: Issue #83
Maryann

Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by Mare749 (It's an older recipe...)
Those pumpkin bars are really delicious and bacon is a must.

Dinner tonight is chicken saltimbocca with asparagus.

The last time that I made the pumpkin bars, I baked them in a square muffin pan and dipped them in the caramel.

[Image: Pumpkincaramelbars.jpg]
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by losblanos1 (Those pumpkin bars a...)
How cute, Blane!

I wanted to try Jean's pot roast idea, but William nixed that idea in favor of Taco Salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (How cute, Blane![br]...)
Gosh those look good and I'm not particularly a sweet eater.

Tonight it's leftover enchiladas suizas. They sure were good last night, expect them to be even better tonight.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 10/7/13?? by losblanos1 (Those pumpkin bars a...)
Blane, I have never seen a square muffin pan. Your bars really look nicer than mine. (they tasted great!) I really like your idea.
Maryann