All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More
  Re: (...)
about Ramen - I found this article/blog/whatever so very interesting. I love ramen and have since the author's same time frame, except I didn't go to college that young.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/the-s...tyles.html
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More by cjs (about Ramen - I foun...)
Haven't given up yet: one of these days I SHALL make the noodles by hand.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More by labradors (Haven't given up yet...)
You know I've thought of doing that now and then over the years. Do it and let me know how hard it is.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More by labradors (Haven't given up yet...)
This is an interesting article. I would love to try all of them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More by cjs (You know I've though...)
Quote:

You know I've thought of doing that now and then over the years. Do it and let me know how hard it is.

So far, I haven't gotten the dough just right, so I've never been able to stretch them repeatedly.

From what I've seen and read more recently, two things may account for this. First, I just may not be kneading them properly or enough (i.e. gluten not sufficiently developed). Second, one of the ingredients that's supposed to make a difference is the kansui - an alkaline water. Some of the recipes I've seen call for sodium carbonate ("washing soda") and, since I made a batch of this (via the baked-baking-soda technique) when experimenting with bagels, I now DO have this component to make another attempt at the ramen.

P.S.: It is probably considerably easier to cut the ramen with a pasta machine, as described in David Chang's Momofuku book, but I want to be able to do THIS.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Me, too!
www.achefsjourney.com