Strawberry layer cake
  Re: (...)
Anybody have a recipe for one of these?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Strawberry layer cake by Old Bay (Anybody have a recip...)
I WISH I DID!!! Could eat a whole one right now!
  Re: Re: Strawberry layer cake by jodybarnett (I WISH I DID!!! Coul...)
Do you mean Strawberry flavored layers or just a layer cake with Strawberries? If it is the latter, here's a fantastic one that looks and tastes great. It is adapted from two sources. I have scaled it up to make 2 9" layers, so freeze one and cut the other in half since we don't need 4 layers of cake. However the recipe below makes 2 8" layer which are cut in half to make 4 layers in a super impressive presentation. I also have a wonderful Strawberry Smash bundt cake that should be able to be made as a layer cake.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

STRAWBERRY COUNTRY CAKE*****

Use Cook's Illustrated's strawberry filling and Whipped Cream and Cream Cheese fronting.

Servings: 8 Yield: 2 (8"layers) 11 cups

Prep.: 30 min. Cooking: 45 min. Inactive: 1 hour and 15 min.Total: 2 hours and 30 min.

12 TBS. (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup sour cream, at room temperature
½ tsp. grated lemon zest
½ tsp. grated orange zest
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. baking soda
8 servings STRAWBERRY FILLING
8 servings WHIPPED CREAM AND CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Butter the bottom of two 8-inch cake pans. Then line them with parchment paper and butter and flour the lined pans.

Cream the butter and sugar on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. On medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, then the sour cream, zests, and vanilla, scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix well. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. On low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine just until smooth.

Pour the batter evenly into the pans, smooth the tops, and bake in the center of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then remove to wire racks and let cool to room temperature. If using 1 cake, wrap the second well and freeze.

Slice one of the cakes in half or thirds with a long, sharp knife.

Place the bottom slice of the cake on a serving platter and place sliced berries evenly around edges (they will be visible once layers are assembled).

Cover center of cake completely with half of pureed strawberries.

Spread one-third of whipped cream over berries, leaving ½-inch border from edge.

Press last layer into place, spread with remaining cream, and decorate with berries.

Recipe Type: Cakes, Desserts, Ina Garten, Strawberries

Author: Ina Garten
Source: Barefoot Contessa
Web Page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-g...index.html

STRAWBERRY FILLING*****

For Strawberry Cream Cake

Servings: 10 Yield: fills 9" layer cake

Prep.: 20 minutes Cooking: 5 min. Inactive 1 hour Total: 1 hour and 25 minutes

2 lbs. fresh strawberries (medium or large, about 2 quarts), washed, dried, and stemmed
4 TBS. sugar up to 6.
2 TBS. Kirsch
pinch table salt

FOR THE STRAWBERRY FILLING: Halve 24 of best-looking berries and reserve. Quarter remaining berries; toss with 4 to 6 TBS. sugar (depending on sweetness of berries) in medium bowl and let sit 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Strain juices from berries and reserve (you should have about ½ cup). In workbowl of food processor fitted with metal blade, give macerated berries five 1-second pulses (you should have about 1 ½ cups). In small saucepan over medium-high heat, simmer reserved juices and Kirsch until syrupy and reduced to about 3 TBS. 3 to 5 minutes. Pour reduced syrup over macerated berries, add pinch of salt, and toss to combine. Set aside until cake is cooled.

Recipe Type: Cook's Illustrated, Desserts, Frosting, Icings and Fillings, Strawberries

Source: Cook's Illustrated 5/2006
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...docid=7612

WHIPPED CREAM AND CREAM CHEESE FROSTING*****

Use with Ina's Strawberry Cream Cake.

Servings: 8 Yield: 4½ cups for 2 layer cakes

Preparation Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes

8 oz. cream cheese , room temperature
½ cup sugar (3½ ounces)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/16 tsp. table salt
2 cups heavy cream

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM: When cake has cooled, place cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Reduce speed to low and add heavy cream in slow, steady stream; when almost fully combined, increase speed to medium-high and beat until mixture holds stiff peaks, 2 to 2½ minutes more, scraping bowl as needed (you should have about 4½ cups).

Recipe Type: Cook's Illustrated, Cream cheese, Desserts, Frosting and Icings

Source: Cook's Illustrated 5/2006
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...docid=7612
  Re: Re: Strawberry layer cake by Cubangirl (Do you mean Strawber...)
Thank you Cubangirl!! That was a lot trouble for you to write out. We have copied it and Jane will use it for a cake next week. It looks delicious!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Strawberry layer cake by Old Bay (Thank you Cubangirl!...)
Ina has some great recipes. Thanks for posting this, Alina. My family would love this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Strawberry layer cake by Mare749 (Ina has some great r...)
I love this cake and the frosting is one of my go to frostings.

I have memberships to the Cook's Illustrated web sites so copying and pasting recipes to my Living Cookbook is easy, ditto for Food Network and the Barefoot Contessa site. I hope you enjoy as much as we do.

Actually, I have access to several magazine websites as well as the digital edition of C@H, so always happy to post recipes when needed since I just copy and paste.
  Re: Re: Strawberry layer cake by Cubangirl (I love this cake and...)
That looks awesome! I will be saving that for next Spring when strawberries are fresh! Thanks, Alina!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.