Menu comments, suggestions, etc...
  Re: (...)
Hello Folks,
I thought I would call upon all of you for some thoughts on a menu I am planning. It is my In-laws 40th anniversary on sunday and they have asked their two sons to cook a really "all out" foodie dinner for them. SOOOOOO, of course, I am doing 99% of the work....sigh. Here is what "we" have come up with so far for the menu. I am missing a grenata or sorbet course...any suggestions would be welcome pls pls...and of course any suggestions AT ALL! thanks thanks,
Jody

I've picked out a few items from Bon Appetit OCT 2013.

Entry Drink: Autumn Gin Sour - made with egg whites - looks so cool!

Appie: Beer cheese soup with suasage pumpernickel skews (C@H splendid soups - it was just released I think) - going to serve this with some really nice high end IPA beers

1st course:
Sauteed Diver Scallops with Cauliflouwer, capers and Almonds - like a cauliflower puree under some seared scallops and cauliflower and a balsamic reduction..
I think I will serve with a really nice artisan bread.

Main: Duck Confit with spicy pickled raisins OCT Bon AP.

Dessert:
Malted chocolate Bombe with salted caramel drizzle
I have been dying to make this recipe for a few months. I wonder though, is the wow factor going to be there in taste or just appearance. I have never had malted whipped cream. I am aiming for WOW dessert here folks, these are pretty fussy foodies.
Here is a link to the recipe:
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeContr...p;recipeID=5818
  Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by jodybarnett (Hello Folks,[br]I th...)
oh and the side dish for the main! I forgot to add!

Im doing a carrot Farro side dish I found in a recipe book called "the bryant family vineyard cookbook.
I am nervous about this one because i haven't played with the cookbook before...
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by jodybarnett (oh and the side dish...)
Sounds like you pretty much have it all under control and most of your prep can be done ahead, so you'll have time to visit with your guests! Your menu sounds very nice. Out here on the West coast, plums are everywhere and they make a wonderful sorbet - which you could leave a little unsweetened to counteract the richness of some of the other dishes.

Have fun and I hope you have someone take "food" pictures - there's nothing we like better than to live vicariously thru other's cooking - unless we're there to eat it, of course.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by jodybarnett (oh and the side dish...)
Sounds good to me.

Quote:

Beer cheese soup with suasage pumpernickel skews

If you are familiar with beer cheese and like it, then fine, but remember that beer cheese is pretty strong stuff. When I was a kid and our extended family were all visiting for one of our annual clambakes, my mom had just opened some beer cheese and my grandmother hadn't see her do so but HAD seen me come into the house from the backyard. When she saw me enter and smelled the beer cheese, she said, "Have you been cleaning the kennels?" LOL! Anyway, for those not familiar with beer cheese, that will give you some idea of how strong it is.

Quote:

Duck Confit with spicy pickled raisins

Hmmmm...... WHERE is this going to be? I'll need to get a ticket. LOL!

Let's see what Jean would suggest for wine pairings.

Edit: I see Jean already chimed in as I was typing, but no wine info, yet.

Quote:

Out here on the West coast, plums are everywhere and they make a wonderful sorbet

The plums also go well with duck, too, of course.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by labradors (Sounds good to me.[b...)
Sounds like a fantastic menu!

By the way labs, we've had this discussion before. It should be called beer AND cheese soup. Both Sharon and I made it (she make a couple of little changes) and it was outstanding. Small portion goes a long way.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...84&page=97
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by Trixxee (Sounds like a fantas...)
Ah. Now I remember it. Big difference between beer cheese and just beer with cheddar and cream cheese. The former may almost require a hazmat team, while the latter sounds more manageable. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by labradors (Ah. Now I remember ...)
whew! I am glad I'm not serving the Hazmat version!

Plum sorbet is on the books now, thanks Jean!

I just reviewed the Trixxee version of the beer AND cheese soup...omitting carrot and adding swiss, actually sounds much more appealing.

I am a bit nervous about using Marzipan for the dessert, I have never used it before. Might roll out a slab tonight see how it handles.
thanks for the tips.
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by jodybarnett (whew! I am glad I'm...)
Good luck, Jody! Your menu sounds fabulous! It sounds like you have a great night planned! PICTURES!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck, Jody! Yo...)
Jody, since I personally find Marzipan too sweet and am not super fond of malted cream, I thought I'd offer an alternative. If you want a dessert that can be made ahead, serves a lot of people and looks a lot harder than it is try CI's Triple Chocolate Mousse cake. It is fantastic and easy to make. You can serve it as is or with any fruit sauce. picture of cake. I'd be happy to post the recipe for you.

If you need a recipe for the sorbet Jeni's sour beer sorbet using plums got great reviews on the Cookaholics board.

Your menu sound wonderful. Your in-laws are very lucky to have you.
  Re: Re: Menu comments, suggestions, etc... by Cubangirl (Jody, since I person...)
Thanks Cubangirl. I appreciate the feedback. I havent been able to find "malt powder" at the store yet, so I might be switching this cake up. TBH, I am really looking for the appearance of WOW for the dessert, but really, I don't want it to taste icky! I will review your recipe.